Daisy Chaining and Cables.

pvannatto

Re: Daisy Chaining and Cables.

Post by pvannatto »

Berk1000 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:48 am Does the first DL32 box (on stage) appear on the M32 AES50A 1-32 and the first 16 channels of the 2nd box (stage left) come up on M32 AES50A 33-48?
Do I assume that this M32 (coming off the B port of the second DL32) is a secondary console and a primary console (eg. M32) is connected to the A port of the first DL32? If so, my answer to your question is - I don't think so. Here is my reasoning.

The DL32 is the only stagebox (as well as the Behringer S32) that you can connect a console to its B port. All stageboxes (of Behringer and Midas) typically transfer all 48 signals from its A port to its B port. If the DL32 senses that a console is connected to its B port, it internally switched the first 4 banks (1-32) to its inputs. Therefore in your scenario, the second DL32 would sense the M32 and switch to its inputs. But the first DL32 would not sense any console connected to its B port and simply transfer its A port signals to its B port.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Berk1000

Post by Berk1000 »

Thanks for your reply Paul. Maybe my question is simpler than that.

I have a single M32 doing FOH and Mons. A DL32 on stage, a DL32 at stage left. I’m just checking that the inputs from the DL32 on stage pass through the DL32 stage left and get to the FOH console. Wired as below:

DL32 on stage
XLR inputs: 1-32
XLR Outputs: none used
AES50A - connected to stage left DL32
AES50B - unsed

DL32 Stage Left
XLR Inputs: unused
XLR Outputs: drive in-ears, wedges and PA feeds
AES50A: connected to on-stage DL32
AES50B: connected to FOH M32

FOH M32
XLR Inputs: unused
XLR Outputs: alternate PA Feed
AES50A: connected to stage left DL32
AES50B: unused

Is this fine? I can’t see confirmation of this setup anywhere online but it seems it should be pretty standard.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Berk1000 I am far from Paul (he is without a doubt THE routing expert) but here are my 2 cents: Your FOH mixer should connect to the A port side of the on stage DL32 (where all the inputs are) so it can 1) Control HA gain of all the inputs and 2) control the output routing. Only the A port side of a Dl32 can do those things. Then run a second line from the on stage DL32 B port to the stage left DL32 A port. The FOH mixer then dictates the output assignments. The routing of the outputs set by your M32 aes50 A routing menu (if using the M32 A port) should pass to both DL32’s.

When you piggy back those 2 boxes however, the second one in the chain ends up with 16 chs out of range INPUT wise (only 48 ch’s can go one way) so 16 ch’s of the second DL are not available to the FOH M32 mixer, it will not “see” those additional inputs. Even though you are not using them now, you may some day have a need. If so you can run 2 separate lines to FOH using the A port of BOTH DL32’s and use A and B on the M32-not piggy back them. The FOH M32 can use its AES50 B routing to set up your in ears correctly but get all its inputs as before from the aes50 A side. If ever needed the other inputs from the stage left DL32 are all also available as aes50 B 1-32 to your M32.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@Berk1000, what Gary mentioned is exactly what I would have recommended, now knowing that you only have one console connected to the stageboxes.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Berk1000

Post by Berk1000 »

OK, thanks so much Paul! Really helpful.

My next question about this:
Currently I run with 1 DL32 and an M32, and have been successfully doing shows like this.
When I add this 2nd DL32 into the system. Let’s say as the main DL32 plugged into AES50A of the M32. With my current show file on the desk, will all the gains on the stage box follow what is in showfile? Or will the show file change to reflect the current state of the preamps in the fresh M32?
Is there a way of forcing the preamp information from the desk?
Do I write down all my preamp gains and manually input them once? Then they stay that way presumably.

Thanks for all your help guys!
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Berk1000 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:38 am With my current show file on the desk, will all the gains on the stage box follow what is in showfile?
A terminology clarification in the X32/M32 world. Shows (and show files when exported) are simply a list of scenes and snippets. Scenes (and scene files when exported) include almost all settings of the console, including preset settings (gain and phantom). To better understand this, export both a show and a scene to files and have a look at them using a text editor. Particularly look at the last 128 lines of the scene file (/headamp = preamp settings).
Is there a way of forcing the preamp information from the desk?
Yes, simply load the scene and all settings, including preamp settings will be applied. Whatever is listed in the Setup, preamps screen will be applied.
Do I write down all my preamp gains and manually input them once?
Are you asking how to transfer preamp settings from one DL32 to another? If so, that is one way to do it. But there is a much easier (and less error prone) method, using either Scene Parser or Live Toolbox using the Headamps tool. Scene Parser works with scene files to make snippets and Live Toolbox works directly with the console (like X32-Edit).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Berk1000

Post by Berk1000 »

Update: added the new DL32 and the preamps stayed as per the showfile. Slight variation on 2 channels, I think this is due the stagebox preamps being in 2.5db increments.

Oh, forgot to say thanks to Gary for the previous answer!

Q. If I put a DL16 stage left, then daisy chained through this to a DL32 on stage - then the DL32 channels would appear on AES50A 17 - 48 right?
When I daisy chain my 2 x DL32’s and go to the preamps page of my console it looks like I now have preamps to control on ARS50A 33 to 48 so that’s good.

The reason I want to daisy chain in this way is that if we have to use House cat5e/cat6/cat7 runs then those almost always appear at stage left and usually don’t have the length to reach the centre of stage.

If I use an S16 (stage left) I can just about make it work with only having 8 outputs, I assume that outputs 9 to 16 of the 2nd stage box will still output whatever I assign to 9 to 16 of AES50 out A?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Berk1000 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:43 pm If I use an S16 (stage left) I can just about make it work with only having 8 outputs, I assume that outputs 9 to 16 of the 2nd stage box will still output whatever I assign to 9 to 16 of AES50 out A?
The stageboxes do not automatically shift outputs like they do with inputs. Therefore the DL32 will always output AES50 1-16. The S16 does have the ability to choose the bank of 8 that are outputted (Out+8, Out+16 - see S16 Setup).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Berk1000 The SD8 and SD16 series have a switch on the side that lets you choose what the 8 outs are: aes50 out 1-8, 9-16 or 17-24 Might be worth looking into as there are other nice features with them like multiple p16 powered ports and combo jacks for the inputs. In the case with the DL first, SD8 second in a chain. the DL inputs would be aes50 1-32 and the SD8 would be 33-40. Outputs: The DL always aes50 out 1-16, SD8 switchable aes50 out 1-8, 9-16 or 17-24. With an SD16 the output situation is the same, still 8 outs same switch, but of course more inputs, in that same chain it would be aes50 inputs 33-48.
DJUnreal

Post by DJUnreal »

Berk1000 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:48 am Does the first DL32 box (on stage) appear on the M32 AES50A 1-32 and the first 16 channels of the 2nd box (stage left) come up on M32 AES50A 33-48?
You can change the offset on these using the controls on the front panel. However, the best way to check it is by opening up X32-Edit and looking at the list of connected devices. It'll show you where each one is in the chain, and let you patch to them that way.

Return to “Stageboxes”