Naming the DP48 Groups

DP48, Hub4 mixing eco-system
pvannatto

Naming the DP48 Groups

Post by pvannatto »

There are 2 methods to name the DP48 groups

Create a csv file
  • Using a text editor, create a file called names.csv. In it add a line with the 12 group names (8 characters max) separated by commas
    (eg. JohnVox,PaulVox,GeorgeVox,RingoVox,Guitar1,Guitar2,Bass,Kick,Drums,,,Talkback)
  • Transfer that file to the SD card in the DP48M folder (if it doesn't exist, create it)
  • Turn on the DP48 and insert the SD card. Make sure the SD icon changes from orange to gray.
  • Select Setup and scroll down to the Group Names and press the encoder
On the X32/M32
  • Select the Library
  • Select the AES50 tab
  • Fill in the names in the list on the left
  • With the DP48 connected to the console (or via the Hub4), turn on the DP48(s)
  • Select the Setup and scroll down to the Remote and press the encoder
  • On the X32/M32, select the AES50 A or AES50 B (depending on which port is used for the DP48)
  • Press the 6th encoder (Broadcast)
Once the groups are named, it would be a good idea to save to an internal preset (press Setup and SD Rec simultaneously, then save and press group button).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
andyp13

Re: Naming the DP48 Groups

Post by andyp13 »

But can the DP48’s have different names?
I want different instruments to another band member…
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Andy,

Each AES50 feed has 48 channels. If you assign all of the instruments from an X32, it would be less than the 48 chan max of the AES50. On each DP48, simply assign different inputs from the 48 channels available. If you are using a Wing (with 48 stereo inputs max) and you are using all 48 for a specific DP48, then connect the other DP48 to another AES50 on the back of the Wing.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

Hi Paul, I’m using an X32 rack.
The sax player is using a DP48 also and wants his tenor sax on group 1 and alto sax on group 2 and wants them named appropriately. I have my vocals on group 1 and my guitar on group 2 and wand them groups naming for me....
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Andy @andyp13 , if you want individual group names, simply create the names.csv file (see above for instructions) for each of your DP48 and load them into your DP48. Yes each DP48 can have separate group names this way.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

pvannatto wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:05 pm Hi Andy @andyp13 , if you want individual group names, simply create the names.csv file (see above for instructions) for each of your DP48 and load them into your DP48. Yes each DP48 can have separate group names this way.
Hi Paul
Been trying this all day with no joy at all…tried 3 different SD cards but all one up with no file 🤷‍♂️….I just don’t understand why the groups can’t be named from within the DP48….. tried the SC card on two DP48’s and it’s just not working 🤷‍♂️
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Andy @andyp13 ,
- make sure when you insert the SD card into the DP48 slot that the SD on the screen changes from orange to gray. If not it indicates something is wrong and can't read it. When that happens, I usually push the SD to unlock it, pull it out and try again.
- make sure the SD card is formatted as FAT32 (not Mac FAT).
- make sure that the names.csv file is in the DP48M folder (as per instructions above).
- make sure that the content of the names.csv file has only one line with the 12 names delimited by commas
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

pvannatto wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:22 am Hi Andy @andyp13 ,
- make sure when you insert the SD card into the DP48 slot that the SD on the screen changes from orange to gray. If not it indicates something is wrong and can't read it. When that happens, I usually push the SD to unlock it, pull it out and try again.
- make sure the SD card is formatted as FAT32 (not Mac FAT).
- make sure that the names.csv file is in the DP48M folder (as per instructions above).
- make sure that the content of the names.csv file has only one line with the 12 names delimited by commas
Hi Paul, done all the above except I formatted the SD Cards in the DP48 and not the computer…I will give it another go today…
Andy.
Jeff Kronos

Post by Jeff Kronos »

Hi @andyp13 Make sure you create a folder named DP48 on the sd card and place the names.csv file in it. Perhaps that will make the difference. Let me know how that goes.
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

Jeff Kronos wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:22 am Hi @andyp13 Make sure you create a folder named DP48 on the sd card and place the names.csv file in it. Perhaps that will make the difference. Let me know how that goes.
Hi Thanks for the help
It worked but is an absolute nightmare...needing access to a computer just to change the name of a channel isn't exactly the best idea MIDAS have had....you should be able to name tracks etc from within the DP48.

Return to “DP48 Mixers”