Updating firmware on the S16 and DL16

GaryH

Updating firmware on the S16 and DL16

Post by GaryH »

I was involved with an S16 update thread in the MT site and in process discovered that the "Official" print process and usual tips, including my own, did not seem to work or were missing some very key parts. The latest firmware also does not include a pdf or instructions which may be the bigger issue. I also discovered that I was 2 firmware versions behind on my own S16's. I therefore became motivated to figure out how to do it. After numerous trials of different things, like using cmd prompt and similar, nothing would work for me. This is mostly in regard to the MT knowledge base article for updating using Win10. I was finally able to do it. This is how I got it to work. I think the key to it is the part where you turn on the S16 with the config button held down and LEAVE IT IN THAT STATE before running the update. If you just turn on the unit, connect your usb cable and try, it will NOT work. It has to be in the 'power on/config button pressed in' state to update properly. You know you are right if you see the firmware version number show up on the S16 screen. EDIT: It has come to my attention that some S16's with older firmware versions installed will not continually display the current firmware version. Coming from version 2.5 on my particular S16's did however continually display it.

How to update the S16/DL16 in Win10/Win 11. To be clear I was on a 64bit version of Win 11.

1) Attach a USB cable between your S16 and PC. I used a USB 2.0 port at first but also later used a a 3.0 USB port which also worked just fine!

2) Once the 2 are connected, turn on the S16 while holding the config button in. This will give you a readout on the S16 screen for the current firmware version. You will NOT see the firmware version if you do not have a USB cable plugged in the S16. **Leave that screen up just as it is. The S16 remains ON with the current firmware version number showing** (the number may not remain visible on some S16's with older firmware) The main point here is it MUST be powered on with the config button depressed and left in that state to update correctly, this IS the key. In the official MT knowledge base version they refer to "update mode" without saying what that is exactly or at best implying what it is without making it very clear, IMO it's not clear the way it currently is. This is "Update Mode"

3) Make sure the downloaded firmware file is fully extracted on your PC.

4) In the folder where the file was extracted, right click on the file and select "run as administrator"

5} The file will begin to execute and complete, both the program and the S16 screen can be seen updating during the process.

6) My S16's appeared to have turned off and back on after updating without my intervention. If not, power cycle them. To double ckeck if the new firmware installed correctly, turn on the S16 while holding down the config button again. You should see the firmware version you just installed. Remember you won't see the firmware version number without a USB cable connected to the S16 usb port.

You may have the Windows SmartScreen come up and say the program won't execute, is not safe or something similar. Or it may ask if you are sure you want to run it. It will give you the option to 'run anyway' which you will need to do if asked.

Return to “Stageboxes”