WING Pitch Fix?

Behringer WING Consoles
KMaxwell

WING Pitch Fix?

Post by KMaxwell »

WING Pitch Fix?

Are there any directions or videos that show how the WING Pitch Fix works and how to use it. I inserted it on a channel that was the vocal track of a live recording and I also assigned that track to another channel without the Pitch shift. I listened to one channel at a time to compare the difference. I didn’t hear a noticeable difference and one reason may have been the singer was also playing an acoustic guitar that was beading a lot into his vocal mic. I tried taking the settings to the extreme to see if I could hear the difference but it seemed to not make much difference. Also I think the fact that the singer wasn’t really in any need of his pitch being corrected.

As I was writing this I decided to try some other dry vocal tracks that I have. I don’t think that these tracks were in much need of pitch correction either. I was able to hear it doing the step tuning when I went to some of the more drastic setting but I still don’t really have a handle on how to properly use it for correction and for effect purposes.

I have searched and have watched videos on auto tune type of units but couldn’t find any on the WING Pitch Fix. Any help will be appreciated. I am about to install a WING in a church and I know as soon as they realize that Pitch Fix is available in the mixer they will want to use it on some of the singers. I am also supposed to do a musical in April and I watched some of the songs from the show on YouTube and one or two of them sounded like they had Pitch Correction in use as an effect.
pmaillot

Re: WING Pitch Fix?

Post by pmaillot »

Never tried it. The only Pitch fix effect I ever used was a Melodyne pluggin in REAPER. That one for sure works great.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Yeah I too have messed around with it and unless im on extreme settings, it doesn't actually seem to do much. ive tried playing in some frequencies to see if it would correct them to the correct pitch as I slowly sweep up and down etc, but can't hear it doing much unless its on the extreme settings. Still not sure if when the note is highlighted red if it is telling the fx to ignore they notes or to tune to they notes only. tried only highlighting one note and also the inverse of highlighting every note except one, expecting it to pitch correct to almost a monotone frequency, but it didnt happen.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

after a bit more experimenting, if the note is highlighted RED, then no pitch correction is applied to that particular note. it doesn't skip the note to the next enabled one but rather allows the unpitched note to pass through. you really need the speed and amount up full to actually hear it doing its work. would have been nice that if the key was highlighted red that it actually pitch corrected to either side of it and skipped that note to allow some custom scales.

Ohh and don't try to use it with anything other than single pitch instruments (such as single vocal only etc) as it will do nothing to the sound coming in.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

@DaveT I played around with it a bit yesterday (and a little bit this morning to try and confirm my results) using an analog frequency sine wave generator. I swept thru the frequencies at various speeds. One thing I want to test today is to see exactly what note/frequency it is correcting to. What it may be showing me is that my own pitch awareness may not be as good as I thought it was or this thing is off (by a little bit) what it is correcting to. Or maybe there is a harmonic in the generator. It does allow for a smooth sweep but I thought I remember testing the output of it a while ago and I think it wasn’t as pure a tone as I thought it would be. I will run the output thru Smaart and see what kind of readings I get. I also have an app on my old phone that I use as an MP3 player that does sweep tones and I will have to play with that and see if I can get it to sweep like I want it to.

It definitely needs a decent amount of level going in to it to trigger it and it is more noticeable on the more drastic settings. With the Speed at 100 and the Amount at 100 it sounds like it is into the step effect mode. I think with the Speed set to about 60 and the Amount set to about 60 it might be correcting it in a way that might be usable for live use. And in retesting this morning I think you are correct in what it is doing “if “the note is highlighted RED, then no pitch correction is applied to that particular note”. I was trying to put my finger on exactly what it was doing and you cleared that up for me. Thank you. I don’t know when you would want to use that but I guess they decided to put it in there for a reason. Maybe just because they could do it.

I did an event last Wednesday evening and I had set up a few Custom Control buttons to turn the Pitch Fix on and off on the individual vocal mic channels. I had put the effect in the second inset slot. I don’t think I had it set to the optimal settings but I think it did help. I was just going to hand the ones with the pitch problems a bucket to see if they could at least “Carry a tune in a bucket”. This is assuming that you know the phrase “‘they can't carry a tune in a bucket”. Bad joke.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

KMaxwell wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:42 pm ‘they can't carry a tune in a bucket
LOL -- yeah I know it well.

The sweep I did I used a tone generator on my phone which was pure sine wave.

As for the stepping, the reason I was playing with it on the most extreme modes was to emulate the Cher sections in believe live. unfortunately as you can't actually blank out certain notes (to try and emulate the scale of the song), it doesn't produce the effect I was after - its close but just too "extreme" to be of use.

what I have noticed "contrary to my statement" of not using it on anything other than single pitch instruments (voice), I had it running in the back ground with some music as I was working away on other stuff, and it seems to pick out certain instruments within the music, and try to correct them. its as if its only actual picking up a certain bandwidth, or only if something is prominent that it can work with. More testing I think with some lower frequencies and higher ones
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

above about 4.8khz it starts to become unstable trying to figure out the correct note, and at 10k its gives in totally. Lower frequencies are not too unstable below 100hz so usable. The fun comes when you hit it with multi tones - its all over the place pulsing between them trying to figure out what one to correct. maybe this answers why its not appearing to be doing much, even on a single vocal track, as the harmonics etc within a voice may mean its struggling to pick out what to actually pitch correct.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

interestingly, if you do a fast sweep from 10hz all the way to about 15k, you can actually hear it stepping very quickly when its set to speed and amount 100, but you can hear where it doesn't like the lower frequency as it stumbles a bit trying to correct, and then when you get up to the higher ranges its all over the place trying to correct. im using an app on the iPhone called MultiTone Generator in case anyone is interested. Made by Thomas Gruber.

I think given what I have seen, then the Pitch Fix won't be one that Im likely to use unless its given some TLC and fixing by Behringer to make it more usable.

p.s. this was done with no channel processing at all (EQ, Dynamics etc all off)
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

FWIW, human vocalists do not sing in single note sine waves so I doubt your test is very valid in testing the performance of the effect. In fact, the detection circuit may have a LC/HP filter to focus on the "meat" of a vocal to make detection easier, so what you see as a weakness may be exactly what I'd expect. The meat of human vocals is really about 300Hz-2KHz if you look at them on an RTA and it only needs to detect the fundamental or a first harmonic.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

If there is any other signal on the track, it won't function properly (like acoustic guitar bleed).
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “WING Consoles”