Help with X32 Routing to SD8 Stage Box Outputs

josephwit

Help with X32 Routing to SD8 Stage Box Outputs

Post by josephwit »

I run an X32-rack with an SD8 AES50 Stage Box up front. The X32 Rack has 16 XLR in and 8 XLR out; the SD8 has 8 XLR in and 8 XLR out.
My local XLR outs are used to send bus mixes for our in-ears. I have configured my Output 9 and 10 (of the configurable virtual 1-16 outputs) on the main routing page as Main LR, and I am trying to route those virtual outputs to the SD8 XLR Out 1 and 2 - my powered mains will then connect there.

On the X32 INPUTS routing block, I have channel inputs 1-8 connected to AES50A (I use A only), and channels 9-16 connected to Local 9-16. Front line plugs into SD8, back line into X32 XLR 9-16. The inputs work fine.

No matter what I did on the AES50 Routing page , I only got a prefader monitor mix (presumably outputs 1 and 2) at the SD8 outs 1 and 2, rather than 9 and 10. Even when I had routed 9-16 to AES50A 1-8. Almost blew the gig, but managed a save by sending Main LR to my one remaining local XLR and sending that to the daisy-chained mains.

There is a switch on the SD8 labeled "Out" with settings for 1-8, 9-16, and 17-24. I did not try switching that. I find the terminology very confusing - does "OUT" mean the outputs from the SD8, which would be X32 INPUTS, or does it mean the SD8 Output XLRs? If so, what use would the AES50 routing page be?

It is also confusing that the routing pages, and even the labeling, are different on the X32, iPad X32-mix (what I use at the gig), and Mac X32-edit. It is unclear in some cases when "outputs" refer to virtual outputs or physical XLRs.

Really appreciate if someone can tell me the routing page settings to send X32 outputs 9 and 10 to SD8 XLR out 1 and 2, and tell me what the OUT switch on the SD8 does exactly. Thanks!
pvannatto

Re: Help with X32 Routing to SD8 Stage Box Outputs

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @josephwit, welcome to the forum.

First of all, use the iPad app as a mixing app only (which it is designed for). Any routing, and complex setup should be done using the X32-Edit app, since it is designed for this purpose.

The SD8 output switch refers to the SD8 outputs which come from the console via AES50. The console outputs 6 banks (or blocks) of 8 channels. These are assigned on the Routing, AES50 in banks of 8. In order to assign individual outputs on the console, you have to use the Out 1-16, Aux Out, Ultranet or the newer User In and User Out to make up these banks of 8. So for your setup, on the Routing, AES50 screen assign the first bank of 8 to Out 9-16 and set the SD8 switch to Out 1-8.

Regarding your questions about the Routing sections, all screens are outputs except for the Inputs and User In screens. All screens are physical outputs except for Out 1-16, User In and User Out screens. In order to create the bank of 4 or 8 (XLR uses banks of 4, all other uses banks of 8), you can use Out 1-16, Aux Out, Ultranet, User In and/or User Out screens. You can also use combinations of these screens (eg Out 1-16 and User Out) to make up these banks.

Regarding your question about the prefader monitor mixes, go to the Routing, Out 1-16 and change the taps from pre fader to post fader.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “Stageboxes”