Some questions about MIDI

All aspects of David Schumann's excellent mixing app
Chirro

Some questions about MIDI

Post by Chirro »

Hello, new user here.

I have the MIDAS MR18 with Mixing Station. I have two IPads, one IPad Air 2 to remote controlling the mixer and another one, IPad Pro, USB attached to the mixer for recording live performances using Cubasis 3.

I'm trying to find a way to include some buttons in a custom interface (in the remote IPad) to control simple things in Cubasis (Play, Pause, Record, Stop...) in the attached IPad. Cubasis is able of receiving MIDI commands, so I think it could be possible.

But, I can't figure how the MIDI actions and layers works in Mixing Station. I know how to map a MIDI interface to make things in Mixing Station but I don't know how to use the MIDI actions layer, swap, etc.

I don't know if what I want is possible and I can't find the info I need in any place. I have write this question to David, but I haven't any response.

Is possible to add some buttons to a custom interface in Mixing Station (IPadOS) to send MIDI commands to other apps? Is there some info about MIDI actions in any place?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad English.
KMaxwell

Re: Some questions about MIDI

Post by KMaxwell »

i don't know the answer to your question but have you tried the Mixing Station Facebook forum?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Chirro Besides @KMaxwell suggestion @pvannatto and @pmaillot are the people here who would probably know.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Make sure that the USB-DIN Passthru is enabled (in Setup, Audio/Midi screen in M-Air Edit).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Chirro

Post by Chirro »

pvannatto wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:55 pm Make sure that the USB-DIN Passthru is enabled (in Setup, Audio/Midi screen in M-Air Edit).
Hello pvannatto and thanks for your answer, but I can't understand what you say. Perhaps I'm very novice :|

What I want is to create a button in a custom interface in Mixing Station (with MIDAS MR18) and when I push this button the Cubasis app running in the same IPad than Mixing Station (or another IPad in the same Wifi net) start playing (or recording) a song.

I'm able to assign MIDI commands to the different buttons in Cubasis. I'm looking for a way to send a MIDI command from Mixing Station to Cubasis.

I can't figure how to do it, perhaps with MIDI actions, but I can't understand them.

Could anybody explain how to use MIDI actions?

MIDI Dummy? - What is that?
MIDI action layer?
MIDI action swap?
MIDI label ref?

Thanks in advance for your patience
Chirro

Post by Chirro »

KMaxwell wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:19 pm i don't know the answer to your question but have you tried the Mixing Station Facebook forum?
I'm reading all I can find about MIDI in this group.

Thanks.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Chirro wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:19 am
pvannatto wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:55 pm Make sure that the USB-DIN Passthru is enabled (in Setup, Audio/Midi screen in M-Air Edit).
Hello pvannatto and thanks for your answer, but I can't understand what you say. Perhaps I'm very novice :|

What I want is to create a button in a custom interface in Mixing Station (with MIDAS MR18) and when I push this button the Cubasis app running in the same IPad than Mixing Station (or another IPad in the same Wifi net) start playing (or recording) a song.
How do you have the midi connected? If you are sending midi from Mixing station through the MR18 to Cubase, you have to have the USB-DIN Passthru enabled in the MR18 (in Setup, Audio/Midi screen) for the console to pass the midi through itself.

If you have both Mixing Station and Cubase on the same iPad, I don't see how this will work anyways. Why don't you simply have Cubase play the desired song?
Could anybody explain how to use MIDI actions?

MIDI Dummy? - What is that?
MIDI action layer?
MIDI action swap?
MIDI label ref?
Those must be Cubase specific terms, since they aren't general midi terms.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “Mixing Station”