Multichannel Audio Streaming

Various 3rd party apps available
streamfuchs

Multichannel Audio Streaming

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi everybody,

maybe it is not interesting for everybody and maybe some of you already know that solution but for those who do not, here it is:

There are several software solutions orginally designed for playing distributed music.
One of those open source apps is Jamulus, designed for a large number of participants but without the possibility to adjust audio quality.

The one I found is Sonobus, open source as well and available for mac, windows, linus, android and ios.
Not so much participants possible but:

Beside the originally intended use of playing distributed music it is very interesting that this software is able to choose the quality between compressed 16-256 kbit/s and uncompressed (transparent) PCM with 16bit, 24bit or even 32bit floating point (the latter of course is not necessary in most cases).

It is not only possible to send mono or stereo but also multichannel audio. The amount of channels is only limited by the audio device which is used and by the bandwith which is available.

With a Internet connection of lets say 50Mbit down- and 10Mbit upload capacity (this is common in rural areas in Germay) it is no problem to send e.g. 8 Channels of 24/48 audio in both directions.

Connection es very easy to establish and the audio connection is a peer to peer solution so there is no server necessary for audio (only a common connection server e.g. from sonobus).
You can measure the latency, the drops and the resent packages and you are able to adjust the receiving jitter buffer until the connection is stable.
When installing you´ll get a standalone and plugin version.

So what to do whith it?
    Delivering of audio to an overflow room which is not neary, propbably within the next building.
      Connection of a S16 or S32 stagebox via DN9630 and a computer to an audio mixer which is far away (remote production).
        Playing audio files direct from the standalone version or playing outputs of your DAW with several channels via plugin to a remote location.
          Including audio calls with the standalone or the plugin version.

and, and, and.....

For me this is a very interesting possibilty to enlarge audio production.
          GaryH

Re: Multichannel Audio Streaming

Post by GaryH »

@streamfuchs This sounds very interesting. Not sure how I would use it just yet but I'll be checking it out for sure, thanks for sharing.

Return to “Miscellaneous Apps”