Distorted/Bitcrushed-like audio with Sennheiser EW 100 G3

flleeppyy

Distorted/Bitcrushed-like audio with Sennheiser EW 100 G3

Post by flleeppyy »

Heya,

Recently we've been having issues with our Sennheiser microphones (Sennheiser EW 100 and the G3 Version), where it sounds bitcrushed.
If i'm correct here, It sounds like like the audio we're listening to is 44.1khz, and we're listening at 48khz, and it sounds like the sample rate was changed without upscaling it.

What could we do? We're running out of good mics to use, and we need this fixed.
if

Chen | Pronouns are She/her
timverhoeven

Re: Distorted/Bitcrushed-like audio with Sennheiser EW 100 G3

Post by timverhoeven »

The Sennheiser EW series are still analog microphones, so that misaligned sampling rate is probably not the reason. To what mixer are these connected and are you using a stage box somewhere?

Anyway, what is immediately obvious is that you need a antenna distribution system (a splitter basically). So many (receiving) antenna's that close together is an issue. With a distribution system you can feed all the receivers with a clean antenna signal.
Get a ASA 214 for example and get a set of antenna's better suited to your setup (ADP, 1031, ...).

Also, how did you coordinate the frequencies for all the wireless systems? Do you regularly do a scan of used frequencies?
KMaxwell

Re: Distorted/Bitcrushed-like audio with Sennheiser EW 100 G3

Post by KMaxwell »

I agree with what Tim said.

The wireless rack is a mess. I can’t tell what you have in there from the pictures I can just get a general impression. The rat’s nest of cables in there doesn’t help matters.

To help you we would need some much better pictures so we can make out what is in the rack and where it is. We would also need a complete list of ALL wireless in use in the facility. This would include the make and model numbers of the units and the frequency it is tuned to now and where it is (in the pictured rack or elsewhere) in the facility and where the facility is. Also what kind of transmitter is used with each wireless and what mics are on those transmitters. All of those answers will allow me to enter all of the information in a frequency coordination program. And the location of the facility allows me to enter that and also get a general idea of frequencies in use over the air that will contribute to a proper frequency coordination.

I don’t know how much you know about sound and wireless systems. Do you understand mic sensitivity and gain settings on the transmitters? Are any of the mics in use mics the type that are worn on the head somewhere? Also are there any IEM transmitters in the system and are any of them in that rack or close to that rack in the picture. It looks like from you pictures that there are other wireless devices other than the Sennheiser systems. I think I see a Line6 device in there.

Also as Tim asked “To what mixer are these connected and are you using a stage box somewhere?”

And where in the room is this in relation to the people that have the wireless mics?

Return to “Live Sound Engineering”