XENYX 1002FX - monitoring both and send microphone only

EmotionFox

XENYX 1002FX - monitoring both and send microphone only

Post by EmotionFox »

Hello everyone,

As the title said I'm looking to hear my PC using the method on the manual page 9.

It's connected like so:
  • TRACK IN and OUT on my PC
  • PHONES on my headset
  • Microphone on the first XLR input
I manage like so to hear my PC input and my voice (XLR input) at the same time without any latency pushing the button "2 - TR TO MIX", I also manage to hear the sound of my PC without my voice using "2 - TR TO CTRL RM", problem is that when I want to record my output on Audacity for exemple, I have to choose beetwen the first option who also record the sound of my PC, or the second, who does not let me have the microphone feedback on my headset... Is there a way to record only my microphone but keep the feedback of the microphone ? I know that I can use "FX SEND" wich is a raw output of my microphone but the sound is clipping and I cannot apply any effect on it...

Thanks for your help !
audibell

Re: XENYX 1002FX - monitoring both and send microphone only

Post by audibell »

Hi there, this is an old thread but people still ask about this and it can be done, barely, with the rig described.

You have asked "...Is there a way to record only my microphone but keep the feedback of the microphone ?..."

I understand this to mean: I want to record my voice to an Audacity track, while hearing the music playback from another Audacity track (stereo) and my voice, in the headphones connected to the 1002.

You want a mix-minus routing for this, which your 1002 FX mixer might do if the FX engine can be bypassed so that no exotic noises are introduced into the soundpath. This is by no means an optimum way to do this but for those interested, it is possible. Here's how to proceed.

First set the playback level out from the green laptop output jack into Line In channels 5/6 jacks (use a diff cable with 1/8" TRS for the headphone out and two 1/4" tip shield plugs for the mixer Ins).

2nd, put your microphone XLR into ch 1 or 2 and set a good level there (We won't discuss gain staging, just make it sound full and rich, without distortion or red lights anywhere)

3rd, playback your Audacity music track and yapp into your mic. Adjust levels so you can hear both well. You will not touch your tape to mix / ctrl buttons because you're not using the rcas for anything.

4th, connect your mixer FX SEND 1/4" jack to your laptop's pink MIC IN 1/8" jack. Rt-click your laptop sound icon, Recording Devices (IDT, USB Audio or ...) select microphone, Properties:Levels and set incoming levels to 70% (adjust later). Set +4/-10 btn to +4 (pads the input)
Next, while talking into the mic connected to the 1002's ch 1 or 2, turn the FX knob, immediately above the PAN knob, until you can see the green lights jumping on the sound card Recording page or check your Audacity recording armed input channel.

If the 1002FX had an FX master knob, you would set that at Unity or 12 o'clock to control the level of any and all channels being sent to the pink input jack (and the Audacity armed recording track)

You now have full sound of the playback audio and the microphone in your ears on the L/R buss but it's only feeding the 1002's headphones.
You have the microphone being tapped off into the FX buss and passing to the laptop input, but there aren't enough laptop outputs to hear the Audacity mix until you stop recording.

Sing the song, then ReturnToZero the Audacity playhead cursor and when you press play again (NOT Record), you will hear the music plus the vocal just recorded. Mute the vocal track, route & arm another vocal track and re-record as necessary.

This used to be the economical way to do a Skype call where the audience heard the remote talker and the local talkers together through the PA on the L/R buss, but the remote talker only heard the local talkers and music/video mix, minus their own voice, to avoid feedback.
I still keep a 2004 1002 in my car for occasional utility sub mixes.
Good luck with this,
WalterT

Return to “Analog Mixers”