Post fader VU?

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
Fingerpickingood

Post fader VU?

Post by Fingerpickingood »

Is there a way to get post fader VU meters somehow? Any post meter VU would be immensely helpful, if I could get it on solo VU that would be great as well.
pvannatto

Re: Post fader VU?

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Fingerpickingood, all channel strips (channels 1-32, Aux 1-6) VU meters are all pre-everything (tapped just after the A/D converter) and there is no way to change those. The DCA meters are post-fader. So you could assign a DCA to a channel strip (or channel strips) and use that meter.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Fingerpickingood

Oh interesting about DCA. What about any digital meters that I could call up in the little computer screen? Are there any post fader meters I could use there?

Not gonna lie, it's a little annoying not to be able to have any post fader meters for my use, but I also get how being able to always see the input gain makes sense. Too bad there isn't a toggle switch.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

All external apps communicate with the console using OSC protocol (commands) and the channel meter OSC commands are all pre-everything only. The DCA meters are also post-fader. I use (and rely on) my ears for channel leveling and mixing.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Fingerpickingood

pvannatto wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:06 pm All external apps communicate with the console using OSC protocol (commands) and the channel meter OSC commands are all pre-everything only. The DCA meters are also post-fader. I use (and rely on) my ears for channel leveling and mixing.
Damn that's unfortunate. I usually just use my ears and don't care about VU also, but in this instance, we're recording digitally and also mixing for the house, so, I can set things in sound check, and I can hear some stuff, but it's loud in the house, and putting it louder in headphones, is not recommended lol, and even if you do, some things like bass, forget it. There's no way to hear that. So, VU could help me at least see where I'm at to some extent. And it will just take the EQ from the room. The quality that way is pretty good, but the problem is, sometimes you're in the room, and the band has loud amps, and you pull out some bass, and then a little more, and you keep trying because it seems loud, meanwhile you've sucked it all out of the recording.

So, VUs can help me out that way. I think I will put tape on the board to say "don't lower more than this amount."

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”