Does linking two channels create a stereo buss?

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
Fingerpickingood

Does linking two channels create a stereo buss?

Post by Fingerpickingood »

So, say I have two channels linked, we'll say buss 5 and buss 6, if I have guitar panned hard left and keys panned hard right, and those are being send to the mains, and I also send them to the linked 5-6 buss, and then I route the outputs out the back of the console for 5-6, and send that to a pair of stereo PA, each getting the respective out plugged into it, 5 on left and 6 on right, will I get a stereo image like that? Or will 5-6 buss be summed to mono?

Might be a stupid question, it seems to me like it only makes sense if it was stereo, but I tried it, and it didn't seem to sound quite as I expected from a stereo perspective, but maybe there was something else happening that I hadn't taken into account.
pvannatto

Re: Does linking two channels create a stereo buss?

Post by pvannatto »

If you have stereo linked a bus pair (eg. 5-6), the output of that bus will be stereo. But the channel pans only adjust the stereo position for the Main LR. Channel sends to stereo linked buses have separate pans. These can be found on the channel's Sends screen.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

If the linked buses are a subgroup then the channel panning follows in the subgroup buses.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
Fingerpickingood

MJKlein wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:43 am If the linked buses are a subgroup then the channel panning follows in the subgroup buses.
Ok, what's the difference in making a subgroup or just linking without it being a subgroup? What I did is I just have cables going out of outputs 5 and 6, and linked busses 5 and 6. Would that mean these are a subgroup? Or do I have to do something different?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

The difference is, a subgroup has no send, but rather, is assigned. A channel is either fully on, or off the buses. You can use the Sends On Fader button to assign channels to the subgroup by unmuting them. Whatever the fader and pans are on the assigned channels, that is what they will be on the subgroup.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Fingerpickingood It sounds to me like you don't have it (or want it) set up as a subgroup and just want to pan the ch's to the paired buses that you linked, As @pvannatto said the ch pans to linked buses are separate from the ch pans to the Mains. Very easy to see using X/M32-Edit, there is a little pan slider just below the linked buses on the ch sends page (see below) In this example a sends page for VOX1 shows that bus 1 and 2 have been linked, once linked, that pair will have the pan slider below them and every ch send can be separately panned to those linked buses wherever you like it.
Fingerpickingood

Ok, thanks so, I can't have it set where the global pan to mains is mirrored exactly to whatever pair of linked busses I have. That's a bit unfortunate, but, not the end of the world I guess. I don't plan on doing much pan switching during a performance, but it does add time to the setup, which is a pain. Good to know though, thanks!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

If you make them subgroups the pan will follow the ch. You can do that. Not that much extra time imo for the pan setup and still have the other perks of using buses intact. If you do the setup once and save the scene, you can just recall it anytime but maybe subgroup is for you.
Fingerpickingood

Ok, so, I'm not sure I fully follow. Is there a way to do this without plugging a computer into the x32?

What I'm not fully understanding, is that I think there is a pan for the buss that I found, and there's the main pan knob, which as I understand it, only pans for the mains. Now you said that I can pan the sends to the buss, but I'm not sure I really understand how to do that. I understand that's what you posted in your image, but I'm wondering if you can, or how you would, do that from the console menu itself.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

On the console, select the desired channel, then select the Send screen. The pan is adjusted using one of the encoders (appropriate to a stereo linked bus pair).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”