X-Dante Card Problem

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: X-Dante Card Problem

Post by GaryH »

@gregcscc OK, you want the sync to external box checked as it was in your first picture, so leave that as it was. The Subscriptions in the XDante device from ch 4-10 (assuming 11-32 as well, can't see them) are not made to anything, thus the triangles. They probably were at some point which is why you are being alerted to let you know they are not now subscribed. Just unsubscribe them if not using them. Or, since you have only 2 devices to connect, Bose apparently has 8 ch's so you can connect (subscribe) to those with your XDante ch's. It would appear at this point those ch's are not currently connected. That part of things is easily fixed and likely not causing the pops imo. Do all your new aes50 cables have ethercons attached? There is continuity ethercon end to ethercon end? To me this still seems like an aes50 cabling issue. So no switch is involved? How are the Dante ethernet cables interconnected? From the XDante to the Bose.

EDIT: I’m adding in some info that you may already know but is important with aes50 cable. You NEED shielded Cat 5E/6/7/8 cable with shielded rj45’s. Yes all Cat7/8 is shielded, none exists that isn’t. Each cable end NEEDS a Neutrik Ethercon added. You should also test for continuity between the 2 ethercon fitted cable ends. Using a continuity meter and touching a lead to each ethercon end outer case you should get continuity. Some makers leave one end of their cables not grounded-you DO NOT want that. The rj45’s need to be grounded at both cable ends. Cat7/8 is great cable with superior shielding properties (I have been using it without problems for a few years now) BUT it still requires Ethercons to be attached. I did some extensive testing with Cat8 and static discharge about a year ago. My premise was that MAYBE it could stand up on its own to ESD without need of ethercons. The results were-it took more zaps to cause issues but ESD DID still cause issues. Cat7/8 need Ethercons too.

Dante connections X-Dante Primary port goes to a switch port, X-Dante secondary port (short cable) goes to the network connector of the mixer itself. Your Bose Primary port goes to another switch port and lastly, your computer rj45 connects to a third switch port.
gregcscc

Post by gregcscc »

How do I unsubscribe from the ones who have the triangle? All the AES50 cables have ethercons. No switch is involved. We're going point-to-point after setting everything up in dante controller.

I will get continuity hardware to check the ethercon cables.

Right now I'm going X-Dante card directly to Bose Amp dante card.

And is this the way to correctly hook it up?

GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@gregcscc Yes that diagram is correct, and the lack of a switch MAY be the problem, maybe not. But a managed switch should be involved imo. I will double check my DC to see the correct page to quickly get rid of those triangles, don't recall off the top of my head the view.

EDIT: Ok, it's in the device view/recieve window (see below) If you select the triangle subcription(s), then hit delete (or unsubscribe) You can select all or many by using the select and the keyboard shift key.
gregcscc

Post by gregcscc »

Here is our current switch. Any guidance as to preferred settings for dante?
gregcscc

Post by gregcscc »

Or would you suggest an upgrade to something like: Cisco SG350-10 Managed Switch with 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Ports with 8 Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 Ports Plus 2 Gigabit Ethernet Combo SFP, Limited Lifetime Protection

I know the TP is unmanaged.
gregcscc

Post by gregcscc »

And I'm curious as to why you go from the secondary dante port of the Midas M32 back into the network port? Do I need to do something on the M32 network settings?

Thanks for all of your help. It's most appreciated.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

You don’t go from secondary into the switch, secondary goes to network port on the m32, primary goes to switch, No special settings on the M32. They (MT) say to set it as Ext clock but I do not. I have mine set as previously discussed. I use internal clock, and sync to external.I had issues with stagebox not syncing when using ext clock. The connections like that (primarily/secondary) allow X32-Edit from a computer, and the like, to connect as well as Dante Controller. Yes I would recommend the Cisco if you can swing it. Their default settings are pretty much all that’s needed in most Dante networks. There are certain settings on unmanaged switches that can cause Dante problems. I would suggest looking on the Audinate site for more info, there is a lot there. They also know way more than me about all of this stuff :-)
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

This image may help:

湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
gregcscc

Post by gregcscc »

So last night in practice we were all of sudden not getting a signal out for our online streaming. I re-checked my settings in the M32 and they were correct. So I had an extra S16 stagebox and switched over my xlrs to it and now it's working. So I'm thinking I have a bad stagebox and that might be where I'm getting my pops from too. I'll keep you updated if that is indeed was the problem.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Wow, in a way that would be a good thing, losing an S16 however is a bummer. It makes sense to me because of the symptoms. Hope it isn’t the result of ESD and bad cables…as it might fry another..certainly hope not.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”