Dante routing

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
mattclarkmixer

Dante routing

Post by mattclarkmixer »

I’m recording multitrack drums with my x32 with Dante card. I’m using X32-Edit to control the x32, set pre-amps etc.

The first 12 analog ins are being sent to my Mac Pro via Ethernet cable. These I get and hear fine. I want to send a monitor mix back to the drummer so he can hear click and scratch tracks. I’ve got the output in Pro Tools for his mix set to out 15/16. I haven’t been able to figure out how to make any signal come up. I’ve experimented with the x32 routing and using Dante controller to route but thus far no luck.

I’ve got a headphone amp for him hooked up to the main L/R outputs as well. I am getting the live mics coming through the main outs but no monitor mix of click and scratch tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.
GaryH

Re: Dante routing

Post by GaryH »

How is the drummer now connected monitor wise to the X32? Does he have a dedicated mix bus or mix bus pair? Is he able to hear the inputs ok and not hearing any recorded tracks?
craigf

Post by craigf »

If you've set the ProTools output to 15\16, that means it'll hit the console on CardIn15-16. If these are the only signals he needs to hear in his monitor, then you can route these signals directly to a pair of physical output sockets on the console that feed his headphone amp.

If you need him to hear more than just the ProTools output in his monitor, you'll need to assign CardIn15-16 to a pair of input channels on the console, send these channels to a bus, mix whatever other signals you want in this bus, then route this bus to the console's physical output sockets that feed his headphone amp.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

craigf wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:27 am If you've set the ProTools output to 15\16, that means it'll hit the console on CardIn15-16. If these are the only signals he needs to hear in his monitor, then you can route these signals directly to a pair of physical output sockets on the console that feed his headphone amp.

If you need him to hear more than just the ProTools output in his monitor, you'll need to assign CardIn15-16 to a pair of input channels on the console, send these channels to a bus, mix whatever other signals you want in this bus, then route this bus to the console's physical output sockets that feed his headphone amp.
I got it working. I'm on an X32 rack btw. The only way I could make it happen was to route Pro Tools 15/16 in the Dante controller to 23/24. When I had 9-16 outs on the Dante card it wouldn't work. So I've got his monitor mix coming up on 23/24 and then he will be directly monitoring the drums instead of listening to them go through Pro Tools (don't want any latency in that round trip).

On another note, Pro Tools only shows 16 ins and 16 outs with the Dante as the audio interface. Any idea why it doesn't show all 32 tracks?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@mattclarkmixer DVS allows you to select the number of ch's, up to 64. Open up DVS and change it to 32. You may have to stop it and then restart it to do so.

(Just checked, you don't need to stop it to change the ch count. 2x2/4x4/8x8/16x16/32x32/48x48 and 64x64 options.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

GaryH wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:38 am @mattclarkmixer DVS allows you to select the number of ch's, up to 64. Open up DVS and change it to 32. You may have to stop it and then restart it to do so.

(Just checked, you don't need to stop it to change the ch count. 2x2/4x4/8x8/16x16/32x32/48x48 and 64x64 options.
Thanks! I was able to change it with DVS.

Is that setting now saved in X32 so I can use Dante Via instead? I'd like to have all the options it provides.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

That should stay as it is set, can be changed via DVS at anytime. Dante Via is another separate program, has to be one or the other on the computer using it. Going back and forth however, should not be an issue. You need to stop DVS and start Via.You could use 2 computers and communicate, Dante Controller with DVS should see Via on computer 2 as another device in the network to subscribe to.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

GaryH wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:36 pm That should stay as it is set, can be changed via DVS at anytime. Dante Via is another separate program, has to be one or the other on the computer using it. Going back and forth however, should not be an issue. You need to stop DVS and start Via.You could use 2 computers and communicate, Dante Controller with DVS should see Via on computer 2 as another device in the network to subscribe to.
It doesn't stay set that way at least using one computer. If I run Via and run Pro Tools it can't find the 17-32. Shouldn't there be a way to set the X32 to 32x32 in the unit itself?

In the multiple computer part of your post are you saying to setup one ethernet connection to a laptop for instance and run DVS and then on the recording computer set it to Via from another ethernet connection (same network obviously).
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

DVS should not change on its own, so something is off. Once it is set it stays there unless you change it. It might be worth uninstalling it and reinstalling? You said it’s the latest version correct? Yes the mixer has a setting for ch counts so maybe it’s set incorrectly and restricting Pro Tools? I have used pro tools hardly ever, I know it very little. BTW Via is 16 ch’s max. DVS is 64 max. Dante Controller should see everything Dante on the network, it should see Via on the second computer (connected to the same Dante network) as any other Dante device. DC on computer 1 would need to make the subscriptions from VIA to other Dante devices (X-Dante, DVS etc) on the network.

Edit: I may have told you about the MIXER ch counts incorrectly, after checking my X32C with an X-Dante card in it, I don't see and ch count specific to the mixer itself. I think you might if there were a USB expansion card in it BUT with an X-Dante card, the ch counts are likely to be a function of DVS which should not arbitrarily change unless you change it. I can't recall if the X-Dante card setup itself has an option to set a ch count, which would be another place to double check.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

GaryH wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:48 pm DVS should not change on its own, so something is off. Once it is set it stays there unless you change it. It might be worth uninstalling it and reinstalling? You said it’s the latest version correct? Yes the mixer has a setting for ch counts so maybe it’s set incorrectly and restricting Pro Tools? I have used pro tools hardly ever, I know it very little. BTW Via is 16 ch’s max. DVS is 64 max. Dante Controller should see everything Dante on the network, it should see Via on the second computer (connected to the same Dante network) as any other Dante device. DC on computer 1 would need to make the subscriptions from VIA to other Dante devices (X-Dante, DVS etc) on the network.

Edit: I may have told you about the MIXER ch counts incorrectly, after checking my X32C with an X-Dante card in it, I don't see and ch count specific to the mixer itself. I think you might if there were a USB expansion card in it BUT with an X-Dante card, the ch counts are likely to be a function of DVS which should not arbitrarily change unless you change it. I can't recall if the X-Dante card setup itself has an option to set a ch count, which would be another place to double check.
I experimented with running DVS stopping it and then running Via. As you said Via will only show 16 channels. I ended up reaching out to Audinate and they said it wasn't possible. I don't know about the 2 computer idea, haven't tried that. I've worked out a solution for my issue by buying a AVIO dual input. This way I can have talkback to my drummer. It's interesting to me that the sell a DVS/Via combo package when you can't run them together. And why Via only lets you use 16 channels. DVS can do 64x64 so I wonder why the limit. Unless there's some technical limitation I'm not aware of that seems like a weird move by Audinate. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”