Controlling reaper including EQ?

Support for the free app X32Reaper. This is not the forum for X32ReaperAutoMate.
Fingerpickingood

Controlling reaper including EQ?

Post by Fingerpickingood »

Is there a way I could stream all audio to reaper, and use the x32 as I normally would to control EQ, but those moves would all be exactly replicated on reaper's EQ, and same thing for dynamics, and also have the FX returns stream to reaper as well?

This might help me record an entire session, and then I can just quickly set some general levels for some elements, but all of the fader rides, and EQ moves and all that were all recorded in reaper, so I could essentially just bounce it all right away, but if I wanted, I could also make a couple quick adjustments.
pmaillot

Re: Controlling reaper including EQ?

Post by pmaillot »

Use X32Reaper maybe. The X32 can be used as a control surface for REAPER, including EQ and Dynamics.

In my opinion (biased I must confess), X32 AutoMate programs will provide much better support, enabling full X32 automation and usec X32 audio rendering capability.

-Patrick
Fingerpickingood

pmaillot wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:18 pm Use X32Reaper maybe. The X32 can be used as a control surface for REAPER, including EQ and Dynamics.

In my opinion (biased I must confess), X32 AutoMate programs will provide much better support, enabling full X32 automation and usec X32 audio rendering capability.

-Patrick
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but in this instance I'm really trying to solve a problem I have.

I'd like to record all audio of bands, including drums and bass and everything, but in the live venue, not have bass and drums in the mix at all. And I'm finding it very difficult to get a mix, without being to properly hear what's going to be recorded.

So, if I could do the whole live thing, and then be able to adjust levels independently that would help me out, because I could just make a few adjustments for the recording real quick.

Do you mean that I could have multiple tracks output to reaper post FX or something like that? If I could have rendered stems, I'd be very good with that. All I really need to do is adjust volume. Having the moves I did saved as automation might be interesting, but I don't want to spend much time on it. Just being able to set the level of tracks, or group of tracks, like one drum buss, would be a big help.

On the USB though, I only say a way to record one stereo pair I think, and I was under the impression that connecting the x32 to reaper via USB only let me stream the audio immediately after the input gain stage. Is there a way to change that to post FX?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Fingerpickingood wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:48 pm Is there a way I could stream all audio to reaper, and use the x32 as I normally would to control EQ, but those moves would all be exactly replicated on reaper's EQ, and same thing for dynamics, and also have the FX returns stream to reaper as well?

This might help me record an entire session, and then I can just quickly set some general levels for some elements, but all of the fader rides, and EQ moves and all that were all recorded in reaper, so I could essentially just bounce it all right away, but if I wanted, I could also make a couple quick adjustments.
Yes. There is a forum for the software that can do that.

Apparently you are using the Reaper Master bus and rendering that instead of using the audio engines of the console. You could do the same thing with a X-touch and save a bunch of money.

I run my studio with no Reaper Master Bus, and monitor though the console. I use the console audio engines, dynamics, EQ, FX, etc. in the console and leave Reaper tracks neutral. Of course I use some plugins on certain tracks for specific applications. I'm using Patricks AutoMate program to provide transport and console mixing automation.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Fingerpickingood wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:32 pm I'd like to record all audio of bands, including drums and bass and everything, but in the live venue, not have bass and drums in the mix at all. And I'm finding it very difficult to get a mix, without being to properly hear what's going to be recorded.
Then a simple solution is to record all tracks on SD or REAPER, and save the scene that what used for your live sound. You can later mix the tracks you need with adjusting levels etc.

One thing the Automate programs do is to enable you to mix your audio (from SD or REAPER) and use that scene you saved as a console state. This way you directly find settings you used and can adjust any/all parameters for mixing/recording rather than for live sound, with the comfort of the console surface.
Fingerpickingood

pmaillot wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:55 am
Fingerpickingood wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:32 pm I'd like to record all audio of bands, including drums and bass and everything, but in the live venue, not have bass and drums in the mix at all. And I'm finding it very difficult to get a mix, without being to properly hear what's going to be recorded.
Then a simple solution is to record all tracks on SD or REAPER, and save the scene that what used for your live sound. You can later mix the tracks you need with adjusting levels etc.

One thing the Automate programs do is to enable you to mix your audio (from SD or REAPER) and use that scene you saved as a console state. This way you directly find settings you used and can adjust any/all parameters for mixing/recording rather than for live sound, with the comfort of the console surface.
I like where you're going with this. Except, when I do a live show, I'm doing lots of fader rides, which I'd like incorporated into the render. Is there a way I can record those into reaper? What are automate programs?

If I understand you correctly, you mean, I just record the tracks as they come in directly after the input gain, and then replay them through the x32 after the show, and record that? The way I see it, that should do everything correctly, minus fader rides.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Since the standard setup is pre-fader, its difficult to record those moves because they would have to be recorded as automation envelopes in Reaper. AutoMate records the console's moves in a small standalone program that records virtually all of the parameters, not just faders. Its designed for console automation for mixing.

From https://x32ram.com
Before I go any further, let me point on one very important fact: No matter if you are using Reaper or the X-Live/W-Live card for recording, you can record your console setup and mixing moves during a live show for automated mixdown of the tracks later! Audio is recorded pre-fader, but you can take the automation file and apply it to those tracks in the studio. This has never been possible before.
There is a lot more reading on the site.
English/中文
Fingerpickingood

MJKlein wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:10 am Since the standard setup is pre-fader, its difficult to record those moves because they would have to be recorded as automation envelopes in Reaper. AutoMate records the console's moves in a small standalone program that records virtually all of the parameters, not just faders. Its designed for console automation for mixing.

From https://x32ram.com
Before I go any further, let me point on one very important fact: No matter if you are using Reaper or the X-Live/W-Live card for recording, you can record your console setup and mixing moves during a live show for automated mixdown of the tracks later! Audio is recorded pre-fader, but you can take the automation file and apply it to those tracks in the studio. This has never been possible before.
There is a lot more reading on the site.
Ok, that seems perfect! So, if I understand correctly, the board processes every track, and also records automation separately, which I can then modify.

Do you happen to know how the FX sends would work for that? I have recorded raw multitracks in reaper before, but only up to 32 tracks. Is there a way to record FX in their own separate tracks as well?

Ok, so, I think I understand. What this does, is it records the fader movements, and then you can replay the audio through the console, and then record that as a stereo mix basically? That makes some sense. I'll look into it in more depth. Thanks!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

AutoMate records virtually all console parameter movements. If you change anything while the automation is in Record mode, it will be played back with the DAW session. I have done all kinds of things like panning and EQ changes during mixes. You can also do instantaneous changes.

The limitation on recording in the DAW is the number of channels available via USB, Dante, or whatever interface you're using to connect to Reaper. You're limited to 32 channels in total on the M/X32 series. Those channels can be anything you want, more or less.

You mix, in real time to a stereo track in Reaper. Then you process that track however you want, and render it.
English/中文
Fingerpickingood

Sorry, I had actually replied to this, a long reply lol -.-, but I must have forgot to hit send on it.

Automate looks cool. I'll definitely look into that.

Do you happen to know if there's a way I could record busses to reaper instead? Like if I had 6 busses or something, that could be cool, I could just render them all into 6 tracks in reaper, and then just adjust general level of that afterwards.

Return to “X32Reaper”