Flow 8 Midi Control

The new Flow8 digital console
RexBeckett

Flow 8 Midi Control

Post by RexBeckett »

The Flow 8 responds to Midi messages via the USB connection to a PC. The Midi implementation is well documented in the Quick Start Guide - although it may need some revision to incorporate the additional EQ parameters enabled by firmware V11739. What may not be obvious is that this is a one-way Midi link. The Flow 8 does not transmit any Midi messages for control value or Snapshot changes. The only Midi transmission from the Flow 8 is in the form of a Midi Dump which can be commanded from the console's Snapshots menu.

Continuous Control values can be calculated as shown below.

Fader Levels: CC Value = ((dB + 70) * 126 / 80) + 1

Bus Limiters: CC Value = (dB + 30) * 127 / 30

EQ Bands: CC Value = (dB + 15) * 127 / 30

Low Cut: CC Value = (Frequency - 20) * 127 / 580

Channel Gains: CC Value = (dB + 20) * 127 / 80

Pan/Balance: CC Value = (Setting + 1) * 127 / 2
NZdave

Re: Flow 8 Midi Control

Post by NZdave »

Greetings Rex.
Do you know of a simple App or software that I could install onto a Windows 10 Tablet Touchscreen
that I could use to control the midi going into the Flow8 ?
I could use as or like an app to replace existing iPad or Fone App
I am quite familiar with Reaper however that seems quite convoluted to me having to assign each channel manually.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers and Regards
Dave
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

NZdave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:08 pm [...]
I am quite familiar with Reaper however that seems quite convoluted to me having to assign each channel manually.
[...]
Hopefully that's something you would do only once and be able to reuse at wish after that, even share it with the community :) See it as a challenge and way to best learn your setup.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

NZdave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:08 pm Greetings Rex.
Do you know of a simple App or software that I could install onto a Windows 10 Tablet Touchscreen
that I could use to control the midi going into the Flow8 ?
I could use as or like an app to replace existing iPad or Fone App

Cheers and Regards
Dave
Hi Dave, I would try TouchOSC. It supports Midi as well as OSC. I have used it on tablets but it also runs on Windows (and many other platforms).

See: https://hexler.net/touchosc
soundog

Post by soundog »

On iPad: Sonic Logic 3. But you can't beat a little Korg nanokontrol for controlling stuff on the Flow 8.

While on topic: Flow 8 has one of the wackiest set of MIDI commands I've seen. It uses every MIDI channel except 13, and quantified parameters require calculations (such as CC Value = ((dB + 70) * 126 / 80) + 1). WTF! That's why I now use AUM to control the FLOW 8. And with a cute little nanokontrol!
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

soundog wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:36 pm ... quantified parameters require calculations (such as CC Value = ((dB + 70) * 126 / 80) + 1). WTF!
Midi controls on many systems use scaling to fit the required parameter range into the limited 0-127 data fields. In many cases, control values can be treated as minimum to maximum. It would only be necessary to perform calculations if it was required to set a control to a specific dB value via Midi.
soundog

Post by soundog »

You're right. And it was never an issue for me for faders (0-127 values). I think the only time it was weird for me was when sending specific tempos for delays.
nickxmix

Post by nickxmix »

Can we use AUM on iPad to connect to Flow8 and set it up to control all faders on Flow8 with separation of ch 5,6,7,8?
How tutorial would be great if possible. Thanks in advance. nickxmix.
danuco

Post by danuco »

Yes. You can use flow8 as an multichannel audio interface on AUM, and sends output of AUM back to flow8. Just do same way as you would with any other audio interface

Return to “Flow8”