Random cracks and pops when streaming from Mac Mini

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
FlavioB

Random cracks and pops when streaming from Mac Mini

Post by FlavioB »

Hi there.
I've just set up my Mac Mini with my X32 and I notice cracks & pops when I stream audio from the Mac (via USB) through the X32.
Where would I need to look into, to fix this issue?
Thanks,
F.
KMaxwell

Re: Random cracks and pops when streaming from Mac Mini

Post by KMaxwell »

I think you need to make sure that the Mac and the X32 are set to the same sample rate.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

KMaxwell wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:51 pm I think you need to make sure that the Mac and the X32 are set to the same sample rate.
Thanks, but where do you set the system-wide sample rate on OSX? Never heard of this...

F.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Thanks, but where do you set the system-wide sample rate on OSX? Never heard of this...

F.
Google it, plenty of references to this.
-P
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Utilities->Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Devices, Select Device, Select Output, Select Format

What are you using to stream? The better way to do this is through the DAW you are using to stream instead of system wide.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

Hi.
I double-checked the settings on my MacMini and they were exactly the same as ever and they correspond to the settings on my X32.
For some unknown reason, the pops stopped... so far so good...

F.
FlavioB

Random pops

Post by FlavioB »

Hi!
I've noticed random pops (very loud ones!) to appear at my X32 mixing desk on the USB source coming from my Mac Mini. When these happen, I also notice a variation on the MIDI clock output, which Ableton Live is sending out via E-RM multiclock plugin to my MultiClock.

What could the source of these random pops be and how to identify and eventually get rid of it?
TIA!
F.
pvannatto

Re: Random pops

Post by pvannatto »

Hey @FlavioB, when it pops, do you also get audio dropouts? Also do you have any stagebox connected to the X32 via AES50?
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

pvannatto wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 pm Hey @FlavioB, when it pops, do you also get audio dropouts? Also do you have any stagebox connected to the X32 via AES50?
Hi Paul!
I do have 2 stage boxes (S16) connected to my X32, yes.
I don't seem to have audio dropouts, but maybe somehow there are, because the MIDI sync device I use is actually fed with an audio signal generated by its plugin in Ableton Live and the output goes through my X32 (XLR OUT 5) into the MultiClock.

F.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

FlavioB wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:46 pm I do have 2 stage boxes (S16) connected to my X32
Typically pops result with the AES50 cable that is not shielded and does not have the ethercon ends on each end. This occurs when there is an ESD (electrostatic discharge), which usually results in a loud pop, then no audio for a few seconds.
If your AES50 cable are shielded cable and has the ethercon ends on each end, then I would be checking the XLR cables for bad connections, etc.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”