Wing internal Dante Card install.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: Wing internal Dante Card install.

Post by GaryH »

thunfisch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am Does anyone have hints about the "legality" of this in germany, i.e. would this legally void the warranty? I don't see any of those funny "warranty void" stickers that I would need to damage when doing so. Also, I'm not sure if B would have a way to tell if such a card has been installed at some point (saved to some eeprom or w/e).

Not that I would ever do such a thing 😁
I certainly don't know the legal part in Germany or even here in the USA for that matter but I agree that it would be pretty darn hard to prove it ever was in it. Kind of no good reason it should void anything IMO. Honestly it isn't something everyone should do but it isn't that difficult either. No soldering, no parts removal, no need to remove or plug in any wires or harnesses, its mainly screwdriver work. As I said in an earlier post, the biggest "risk" imo is making 100% sure you protect the screen, faders and knobs when it's ether on its face or upright while using that screwdriver and placing the card. I have a method of choice if interested, I tried a few.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

GaryH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm I have a method of choice if interested, I tried a few.
In an Einstein-style thought-experiment, of course? :shock:
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm
thunfisch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am Does anyone have hints about the "legality" of this in germany, i.e. would this legally void the warranty? I don't see any of those funny "warranty void" stickers that I would need to damage when doing so. Also, I'm not sure if B would have a way to tell if such a card has been installed at some point (saved to some eeprom or w/e).

Not that I would ever do such a thing 😁
I certainly don't know the legal part in Germany or even here in the USA for that matter but I agree that it would be pretty darn hard to prove it ever was in it. Kind of no good reason it should void anything IMO. Honestly it isn't something everyone should do but it isn't that difficult either. No soldering, no parts removal, no need to remove or plug in any wires or harnesses, its mainly screwdriver work. As I said in an earlier post, the biggest "risk" imo is making 100% sure you protect the screen, faders and knobs when it's ether on its face or upright while using that screwdriver and placing the card. I have a method of choice if interested, I tried a few.
It sounds like if you can install RAM in a laptop you should be able to handle that competently.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
thunfisch

Post by thunfisch »

GaryH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:42 am Interesting, I tried several Yamaha NY64 Brooklyn II 4V1 64 ch cards and not a one would be recognized by Dante Controller, I had a theory because of this that only the 3B versions would work...hmmm. I do think the A+H and Protools versions will work, both 3B but very expensive. Yamaha must have some kind of lock employed? Too bad as even new they are fairly reasonable. Better options exist now anyway.
That's something I was wondering as well, because I think the Brooklyn II cards to take a firmware that will modify some of its behaviour. Which is why I am so surprised that just buying a "vanilla" card and inserting it in the Wing works fine.

In Germany, I paid (including taxes) 379€ for the Dante-Wing Module, which I think is a pretty fair, if not cheap, price. Most other dante-modules for other consoles that can deliver 64x64 are more expensive than that, and if I look around for the vanilla brooklyn II module from audinate, it seems to be more expensive than buying the Dante-Wing module. Probably economics of scale / dealer-prices / whatever. To me it still makes sense to buy the Wing-Dante, pull out the card from that and install it internally.
wing+dante, xr18, midas dl16+dl32
systems engineer by day, live sound, streaming & video by night
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

RexBeckett wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm
GaryH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm I have a method of choice if interested, I tried a few.
In an Einstein-style thought-experiment, of course? :shock:
But of course!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

thunfisch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 pm

That's something I was wondering as well, because I think the Brooklyn II cards to take a firmware that will modify some of its behaviour. Which is why I am so surprised that just buying a "vanilla" card and inserting it in the Wing works fine.

In Germany, I paid (including taxes) 379€ for the Dante-Wing Module, which I think is a pretty fair, if not cheap, price. Most other dante-modules for other consoles that can deliver 64x64 are more expensive than that, and if I look around for the vanilla brooklyn II module from audinate, it seems to be more expensive than buying the Dante-Wing module. Probably economics of scale / dealer-prices / whatever. To me it still makes sense to buy the Wing-Dante, pull out the card from that and install it internally.
I agree from the standpoint of price vrs others Wing-Dante is a very good buy. I am not sure "vanilla" cards will all work, my theory is if they are B3 versions they will. If 4v1 they may...or may not. I can tell you from trying it, the X-Dante card (B3) does work ever since I think 1.08 firmware, if 32 ch's is enough, there you go. 64 Dante ch's is a LOT. I have heard that other 16 ch Dante B3 cards also work, this from a very reliable source. I'm full of theories (some may say other stuff too) and the next?...4v1 allows the manufacturers to lock out use if so desired. For the life of me I don't know why you would want to. Case in point the Yamaha ny64, they could have sold a lot of them just to Behringer Wing owners. Maybe the manufacturers all have mutual agreements, who knows! Maybe there is a hack to make them work but it's above my pay grade if it exists.
Roblof

Post by Roblof »

It depends totally on the installed oem firmware/config on the brooklyn-2 card if it will work inside a different mixer or not.

The dante cards config differs between the wing-dante and the internal card. Not enough to not work, but enough to miss out on some network setup thingies.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Roblof wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:01 pm It depends totally on the installed oem firmware/config on the brooklyn-2 card if it will work inside a different mixer or not.

The dante cards config differs between the wing-dante and the internal card. Not enough to not work, but enough to miss out on some network setup thingies.
Then there MUST be a way to reflash the module to match the target config, no?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Roblof wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:01 pm It depends totally on the installed oem firmware/config on the brooklyn-2 card if it will work inside a different mixer or not.

What network setup things would be missed exactly? You still have all the clock options within the Wing including Dante and Ext card as master...and Dante Controller can set the card itself to switched or redundant, the network set as dhcp. There are the 2 switched control ports. Just curious. It seems insane to me they would make 2 different cards for one mixer, but hey!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I've been thinking about the 2 different Dante Card firmware options for the same card in the exact same mixer and it's making me crazy! So let me get this straight, I need to pay about $500 for the external Wing-Dante expansion card (I did) but if I would later prefer the internal version, I must officially spend another $4-500 plus labor, plus shipping cost both ways to service center for a total of up to (I.m guessing) $1000 or more AND the downtime of several weeks without my mixer.....when I already owned the same card but because of different firmware requirement I can't use it? That to me is crazy, not doubting the truth of it, only the decision to make things work that way. Crazy. 2 Things 1) Makes me doubly glad I got the internal card I did when I did. and 2) I had planned to use the "legit" card I ordered in the internal slot when it came, now I probably won't bother and will just sell it.There is some good news in this, It will likely take SO long to officially get an internal Dante card for and in a Wing, the 3 year warranty will expire and I won't worry about voiding it :-)

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”