Looking for Toslink or HDMI Adapter to XR18 XLR

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
kmitchell

Looking for Toslink or HDMI Adapter to XR18 XLR

Post by kmitchell »

I've been asked to help connect audio from a consumer device (Apple TV 4K) to an XR18 mixer. The only audio options from the device are toslink or audio over HDMI. Can anyone make a recommendation on either a toslink convertor or an HDMI audio extractor with either RCA or XLR (preferred) outputs? I'm kind of a fish out of water when it comes to consumer audio.
GaryH

Re: Looking for Toslink or HDMI Adapter to XR18 XLR

Post by GaryH »

@kmitchell Maybe the ADA 8200 could work. Adat in to XLR out?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

In the youth room of my church, they have one of these units. I'm planning on repurposing it for a Bible study TV, audio setup using an MR12, a wireless mic and a powered speaker. Hopefully I'll be able to get to do the setup early this week and will let you know how well the HDMI extractor works.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kgallen

Post by kgallen »

Depends on the quality you want. There are a lot of cheap TOSLINK DACs to RCA on eBay/Amazon.

e,g, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265477652360 ... OSw0GNiKHZ~
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try out one of the HDMI extractors I found on Amazon as well as the toslink convertor @kgallen suggested. I don't think the audio quality has to be spectacular so either of these should be fine.

@GaryH I think that would work but they are on a pretty tight budget. They are a small, mobile, nomadic congregation. It turns out they want to use the Apple TV to Airplay presentations to avoid presenters from having to get into the wiring of the AV setup. I guess they've had some "midnight re-wiring" happen in the past.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Well, after a quick review of the current AV setup, this got a lot easier. The projector they use for presentations has a 3.5mm audio out jack that mirrors the audio coming into the HDMI port to allow it to be sent to an external sound system. Imagine that. A 3.5mm to RCA/TS adapters or 3.5mm to TS plugs is all that's needed to go into the XR18 combo jacks.
kgallen

Post by kgallen »

The TOSLINK route would give you electrical isolation. See how you go on with noise.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

kgallen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:25 am The TOSLINK route would give you electrical isolation. See how you go on with noise.
Good point. They have a mobile AV rack and the projector sits on top of it during presentations. Wiring run is less than 6 ft (2 meters) from the XR18 but I'll keep than in mind if it starts picking up noise. I never like to use unbalanced TS connections but not much choice for this setup.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”