Mixing Station Tips: Stacked Buttons

All aspects of David Schumann's excellent mixing app
RexBeckett

Mixing Station Tips: Stacked Buttons

Post by RexBeckett »

When creating custom layouts in Mixing Station, you can stack two buttons to save space.

Create a button with a single-press touch-mode and some appropriate action. Create a second button with a long-press touch-mode and a different action and place it on top of the first. Send the second button to the background. Now a short press activates the first action and a long press activates the second.

I use this on four buttons for the FX slots. A short press opens the SoF view for that slot while a long press opens the FX parameter view.

You can expose the hidden button for editing by sending the top one to the background.

When you stack buttons, you can normally only see the status of the upper (foreground) one. If you set the Margin of the lower button to 0 and that of the upper button to 2 and have them different colors, you can see the status of the lower button as a rim around the upper one.

One application: I have a custom layout for each type of gig where I use my XRs. Each layout has a main layer with commonly used controls and two or three optional layers for infrequent adjustments. The name of the main layer reflects the type of gig. The layouts have a single-press button to open each layer. The name on the main layer button shows which layout is loaded. The button for the main layer overlays a long-press button that loads the initial Snapshot for the type of gig. The upper buttons are blue and the lower one is green.

When I open the layout, I can see at a glance whether the correct Snapshot is loaded by the green rim around the blue main layer button. If not, a long-press on the button loads it and lights the rim.
steveheroan

Re: Mixing Station Tips: Stacked Buttons

Post by steveheroan »

Hope someone can answer and sees this post.

I am trying to move a single button on Mixing Station from the default on the right hand side over to the left-hand side, as I am editing my layout, but it seems I can only grab an entire group of buttons and not a single button. Is there some workaround for this, also, I deleted my layers that have DCA and FX sends because I never used them, but now I want them back and they don’t seem to be available in the layout section under Sends on Fader.
How do I retrieve those?
kmitchell

Re: Mixing Station Tips: Stacked Buttons

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @steveheroan Welcome to the community. Sorry for the late reply but for future reference, you should start a new post instead of adding a question to someone else's post.

The entire group of buttons is either called the "sidebar" or "layer" buttons. They can both be added using Setup(gear), LAYOUTS, and either click on the layout name or click on the "Edit" button. Once in Edit, click on the "+" symbol, Mixer, and either "Layers Button" or "Sends on fader buttons".

If you only want a single button, delete the button group and add the individual buttons to the layout using "+", General, Button. You then have to set the action for the button since it's just a generic button when added.

As for the layer you deleted, click on Setup(gear), Layers, "+" and add the layer back. Select what you want to see on the layer and it will show up in the "layer" buttons group.

Feel free to ask questions.

Return to “Mixing Station”