No output to amps after disconnecting, moving and reconnecting cables

Afinepoint

No output to amps after disconnecting, moving and reconnecting cables

Post by Afinepoint »

Apologies but right off I am new to digital mixers. I'm slowly getting acquainted with my x32 compact. Here's my first unsolvable issue. There is no output to the amps after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting all cables.

The arrangement is a 3.5mm split input feeding ch1 and 2. Four outputs on 1- 4. With 3 and 4 being fed from 1. Outputs 1 & 2 feed a Behringer amp, 3 and 4 a Crown Audio. All cables were connected as before. Nothing was touched on the mixer after powering ON. The Gain and fader meters show a signal out which does respond to knob/slider movements.

All applicable screens also show output signals. There is noise (pop) from the speakers on power up so that signal is making it to the amps. I'm not able copy and post screenshots.

Thoughts?
KMaxwell

Re: No output to amps after disconnecting, moving and reconnecting cables

Post by KMaxwell »

It is most likely a routing problem. Is this a a brand new mixer or a used one?

The bast way to help you would be to have you copy a scene from the mixer and post it here so we can take a look at what might be happening.
craigf

Post by craigf »

Check Setup>Config "Safe Main Levels." If this is on, it mutes the outputs on boot until an output fader is moved.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

On the past Wednesday night I helped a fellow I know with what sounds like a similar problem that you are having. Somehow his routing got all messed up and I think he panicked before a show and managed to really mess it up more.
Afinepoint

Post by Afinepoint »

Thanks to all. Behringer (Sweetwater) tech returned my call. We never did discover if there was some internal software or routing issues. No smoking gun. But we did discover the Behringer amp feeding the stage monitors had failed - dead. Which is truly disappointing as that amp has < 30 hours on it but is out of warranty. Only used for a Halloween venue - about 5 to 6 hours a year.

Anyway, prior to that I could hear a bare whisper from the subwoofer. We did swap outputs 3&4 (feeding the sub) xlr cables with 1&2 which is how we found the dead amp. Sound retuned to the mains. I substituted another amp for the Behringer and I then had full sound. No changes made to the mixer.

Another odd thing occurred. At one point as I raised the (linked) faders 1&2 sound would decrease from (3&4) who's inputs ARE 1&2. Lowering those faders raised the output and sound on 3&4. ????

If I can remember more I'll append this post. Again thanks.
Afinepoint

Post by Afinepoint »

No doubt in our troubleshooting we did something to fix things. Neither of us could say "Ah, that was it".

I would really like to know what it was otherwise this can happen again and a tech will likely not be there. OR worse there's something screwy with the software which is up to date. After the failure with the amp I'm understandably wary of the/a (Behringer) product specifically this x32.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Even the most expensive equipment can have failures.
Afinepoint

Post by Afinepoint »

That is so true.

Here we go again. The system had an output on 1-4 after speaking with rep. Powered back up yesterday for
my annual Halloween show. Nothing from 3 & 4 though meters showed a signal as strong as 1& 2. That amp had no input. Sliders did nothing. Swapped 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 xlr. Still nothing from 3 & 4. Same indications with the other amp. I paged through the routing and configuration screens looking for a difference. They look identical with exception of 3 & 4 receiving an input from channel 1.

Sounds like some software glitch. It can't remember previous settings. I'll be calling Behringer again. I know it's difficult offering assistance when none can see my screens. I'll have to figure out a way to paste them if only taking pictures of the screens.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hey @Afinepoint, as mentioned before, it sounds like a routing issue. @KMaxwell suggested that you export your scene to a file and attach it to your post so that we can have a look and better advise. I would highly suggest that you take his advice before having to deal with the Behringer techs. With the scene file, we can check your routing and other settings for you.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Afinepoint

Post by Afinepoint »

It was a routing issue. With things now on mix bus 1 it all works. Behringer tech was really patient. I hooked up the PC to allow remote operation. He still could not answer why things worked on and off with the way I had it. I don't think he wanted to go there. The first tech did mention bus ops as a better option but we didn't do it..

This tech hinted nicely I needed to look into how bus routing works. This being professional equipment there is an expectation in how to videos and phone tech help of a solid familiarity with digital mixers. Especially more complex ones such as these. I'm learning. With me it's Iike buying the gear and heading up Everest climbing by trial and error. No training. At least here I won't freeze to death.

I'll put in more time studying to avoid wasting you guy's time .

Again, thanks for the great responses.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”