routing mix busses to card output

JMolzow

routing mix busses to card output

Post by JMolzow »

Hello! I am a blind audio engineer and producer and have just upgraded my home studio to the X32 full size board. This is an amazing piece of kit, but I am unable to figure out one very simple function. I’d like to have my 16 mix busses run out to the card to be processed in my DAW (REAPER) Pre-fader, but after all of the channel strip processing . I’d also like my Main L/R to be sent out channels 17 and 18 Pre fader, but after all channel processing, and send Main L/R post -fader channels out to channels 19 and 20. If someone is willing to take the time to write a step by step guide to doing this, I’d very much appreciate it. I’m sorry if this is a newbie question, but I really have been researching and found a lot of confusion. If it will help, I have upgraded the board firmware to 4.0 so point to point user patching is available. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
GaryH

Re: routing mix busses to card output

Post by GaryH »

Well I can try to help a little. I’m not sure how someone who is blind can navigate the x32 menus so I (or someone) may need to break it down more in other ways after. Anyway, your basic issue I’m thinking is probably finding the correct menu(s) to employ so you can get your desired tap point. The basic card out routing will only allow you “PRE” everything which is what many users want so as to fine tune the ch processing type mixing at a later time. To get other tap points like you want require what has now become commonly known as the “staging” menus. The Ultranet, aux out and outputs 1-16 menus. In your case you would need a few of these to get all your desired Reaper ch’s since there are more desired ch’s than any one of these menus can supply. I would suggest first to maybe use the Ultranet menu. In that menu you would select each of your mixbuses and use the pre fader tap. I would then maybe employ the aux out menu to get your main l/r pre and post fader assignments. Once you have defined the assignments in those two menus, in your card out routing menu choose ultranet (p16) 1-8, ultranet (p16) 9-16 and the aux out bank for the first 24 ch. assignments. The User output routing would be ideal in this case as it allows assigning ch’s without the banks of 8 restrictions, but maybe best left for a later attempt once you have some success. Hope this helps a little.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”