Dp48 assigning same channel to different groups

DP48, Hub4 mixing eco-system
Wader

Dp48 assigning same channel to different groups

Post by Wader »

Hey Guys,

Is it possible to assign one channel to 2 and more different groups? When I'm trying to assign a channel for example to group 2 and it is also assigned to group 1 it's being then disconnected from group 1. This is basically killing the concept of 2 independant mixes for 2 musicians....

Can some one tell me if this can be done?

Regards
Wader
pvannatto

Re: Dp48 assigning same channel to different groups

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Wader, welcome to our forum. Unfortunately what you are wanting to do is not possible with the DP48. Each channel can only be assigned to a group, not groups. It is by design. But what is assigned to each of the groups does not deter the dual mix capability. If you explain how you are wanting to set it up, I can help you make it work with the DP48 (I've been a beta tester of them since June 2019).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Wader

Post by Wader »

pvannatto wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:30 pm Hi @Wader, welcome to our forum. Unfortunately what you are wanting to do is not possible with the DP48. Each channel can only be assigned to a group, not groups. It is by design. But what is assigned to each of the groups does not deter the dual mix capability. If you explain how you are wanting to set it up, I can help you make it work with the DP48 (I've been a beta tester of them since June 2019).
This is a pity... Especially when using dual mixing capability. We wanted to have 2 different groups containing same vocals so each musician could mix it as he/she likes. Without that capability they need to agree on one mix in a group what can be a problem 😉

What if I would send twice the same group of channels from the console? Then I have my channels doubled?

Regards
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Wader wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:41 am This is a pity... Especially when using dual mixing capability. We wanted to have 2 different groups containing same vocals so each musician could mix it as he/she likes. Without that capability they need to agree on one mix in a group what can be a problem
I think you are misunderstanding how the groups work in the DP48. A typical band is 3 or 4 piece band. For example, John, Paul, George, Ringo. Assign each vocal to a group (John on group 1, Paul on 2, George on 3, Ringo on 4), then the instruments (guitar 1 on 5, guitar 2 on 6, bass on 7), then the drums (kick on 8, snare on 9, toms on 10, overheads/hihat on 11). Then each musician can mix their desired mix by selecting the group and adjusting the volume, EQ, compression, etc.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Wader

Post by Wader »

pvannatto wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 pm
Wader wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:41 am This is a pity... Especially when using dual mixing capability. We wanted to have 2 different groups containing same vocals so each musician could mix it as he/she likes. Without that capability they need to agree on one mix in a group what can be a problem
I think you are misunderstanding how the groups work in the DP48. A typical band is 3 or 4 piece band. For example, John, Paul, George, Ringo. Assign each vocal to a group (John on group 1, Paul on 2, George on 3, Ringo on 4), then the instruments (guitar 1 on 5, guitar 2 on 6, bass on 7), then the drums (kick on 8, snare on 9, toms on 10, overheads/hihat on 11). Then each musician can mix their desired mix by selecting the group and adjusting the volume, EQ, compression, etc.
I have 8 vocals, 2x piano, pads, drums, bass, saxophone and guitar. So a lot..... It is really a problem with that group assignment.....
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Wader wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:02 am I have 8 vocals, 2x piano, pads, drums, bass, saxophone and guitar. So a lot..... It is really a problem with that group assignment.
Very early on in the beta testing of the DP48 I asked the developers to allow assignments of inputs to many groups and was told that is not possible because of the way it was designed internally and the fact that the DSP had very little room for more features. So if your group are unable to live with common groups, I would suggest you consider using the P16 instead (send drums to a mixbus to be sent to the P16 as a mix).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “DP48 Mixers”