Live Mix & Record with X32 and AutoMate?

Support forum for the AutoMate family of console automation specifically designed for Behringer/Midas consoles by Patrick Gilles-Maillot.

This forum is also for support with Reaper and the X-Live expansion card with respect to AutoMate.

https://x32ram.com
Forum rules
For generic X-Live support, please go to the appropriate forum here:
viewforum.php?f=47
Brthld

Live Mix & Record with X32 and AutoMate?

Post by Brthld »

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and I am - sadly - not an expert with the X32.
In March next year I have a gig with a band where I can mix with a X32 - which I have used before, but as I said am not an expert on.

I stumbled upon the AutoMate tools and these could be what I am looking for. Let me explain what I want to do:
For the gig I will make the live mix with the X32. I want to record the show and the tracks with the X-Live card (or via USB on a Laptop) and have my fader movements recorded as well. For a potential re-mix or mix correction I want to have a good starting point.
Would that be possible with the AutoMate tools and which one would be the right one?

Also: is there an option to record more than 32 channels with the X32?
I also want to record submixes and atmospheric mics and with that I would be over 32 channels.

Thanks for your help! :)
pmaillot

Re: Live Mix & Record with X32 and AutoMate?

Post by pmaillot »

Biased opinion here of course :-), but X32XliveAutomate is the right tool for a compact set of tools using your XLive card. If using the USB link to record to REAPER, you can use X32ReaperAutomate.

You will be limited on the X32/XLive to 32 channels.
Same with recording to REAPER, but with maybe more flexibility when playing back and mixing your recorded tracks.

You can use submixes in REAPER and present a pre-mixed set of tracks to the X32, ending up with more than the X32 physical limit of 32.

More at https://x32ram.com

Other users may chime in as well :-)

-Patrick
Brthld

Post by Brthld »

pmaillot wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:43 am You can use submixes in REAPER and present a pre-mixed set of tracks to the X32, ending up with more than the X32 physical limit of 32.
That would be the case for the re-mix, right? For the live mix this would have to be all done in the X32?

And with the XLive I could also use the SD cards as a backup recording (without the automation data, of course)?

And my last question (at the moment) would be, if I could test all that well with the trial versions of AutoMate (before the purchase)?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Brthld wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:54 am
pmaillot wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:43 am You can use submixes in REAPER and present a pre-mixed set of tracks to the X32, ending up with more than the X32 physical limit of 32.
That would be the case for the re-mix, right? For the live mix this would have to be all done in the X32?

And with the XLive I could also use the SD cards as a backup recording (without the automation data, of course)?

And my last question (at the moment) would be, if I could test all that well with the trial versions of AutoMate (before the purchase)?
You can overdub/submix tracks in post production like any other session (in Reaper). But the live mix is limited to 32 channels of audio.

The automation is recorded on the standalone app, not on the SD cards. Someone who owns an X-Live card will have to answer your question about dual recording.

The free version is limited but allows one to configure it to work with Reaper or the X-Live card and record automation on the Aux inputs.

The full version will record virtually all the moves you make during the live mix, including Mutes, Pans, EQ, Dynamics, FX Send/Return changes and about 10,000 other parameters. Whatever you do not want recorded can be added to the .ini file. Currently the .ini file omits obvious things like Solo and Channel Select changes from being recorded.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
Brthld

Post by Brthld »

Ok, perfect. That sounds really good and promising.
I will look into AutoMate during the holidays. :)
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

My piece of advice is to always record both on SD and REAPER/USBlink. You can do this simultaneously, and even also record the final mix on USB stick. All at the same time. The X32 is a great piece of gear :-)

As MJ wrote, the automation recorded by the AutoMate program(s) is going on a computer, as a set of separate files, and is the same/valid for both REAPER and XLive, with a better precision at recording time with using the REAPER version (REAPER provides more time ticks/s than the XLive card).

Live mix is of course done on/with the X32. "Re-mix" is done using the Automation and audio files recorded during the show, using again the X32 as a control surface and audio mixing engine, with the capacity this time to alter parameter changes, fader moves, etc., to create a better mix than the Live one.

-Patrick
Brthld

Post by Brthld »

Thank you so much for explaining it with so much detail. This would be my exact workflow, I think.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Yes, the mix can be edited as much as required and you can save incremental versions along the way. Everything, including the scribbles will be instantly recallable. You can also edit the starting point of the mix too. You may need to rebalance some instruments because of the change in the room sound and that can be set for the start of the mix. You can also start over from scratch too. I've been using AutoMate since its inception and it is the first piece of software I fire up in my studio for every session. The transport buttons on the console as well as Record Arm, track Solo and Mute and console Solo-In-Place are extremely convenient as you don't need to touch the mouse for any of those functions.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “AutoMate Support”