Live Duo with backing tracks.

The new Flow8 digital console
Bass88

Live Duo with backing tracks.

Post by Bass88 »

Hello Forum! Im using a Bose T8s currently but I’m researching the Flow 8.

We are running as a duo with backtracks, the backtracking software Stagetraxx3 has fairly comprehensive output routing with stereo mains and three auxiliaries.
for tracks we have:

- Separate click track
- Separate guide (arrangement track)
- 4 or 5 Software mixed backing tracks
- 2 Vocal mics
- One of us plays Violin
- One of us switches off between acoustic guitar, bass, banjo.

I want (I think) to send the Click, guide , live instruments to two aux mixes (thinking of using monitor 1&2)

Then send the pre mixed backing tracks as well as the live audio out to the FOH

Basically mix everything to the mains (except click and Guide) send everything to two customizable in-ear monitor mixes (including click and guide tracks) Can this be done on the Flow 8?
therentabrain

Re: Live Duo with backing tracks.

Post by therentabrain »

My head is swimming trying to imagine what you are describing, but lest nobody reply at all, let me say that my guess is the Flow8 will not be flexible enough for what you're talking about - But, I really think for its price and size, it's likely going to be worth getting and trying.

Worst case, you can return it. I don't see any used on the whole Internet - and while I'm sure some of that is because of how tragically poorly advertised it has been, and so fewer sales, I also bet that's because those of us who got one don't want to lose it.

Disclaimer, I don't know what else is out there now, but as of a year or two ago, there was nothing as good, as small, and as cheap; nothing even close. I haven't seen more than 2 auxes in a similar sized mixer. That said, there are digital mixers that would probably do all of it for you if you don't care about the form factor.

And maybe I'm just not getting it and the Flow8 would actually do what you are looking for - just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for it. :) I have used mine for deejaying, for transferring records to digital using a bluetooth record player, for livestreaming via OBS, and for live solo concert, powering it off a car battery with an inverter! And unlike other similar sized mixers, I have all those diverse uses saved so I can go back to those settings anytime.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

I missed this as I don't use a Flow8. For what you want to do I think an X18/XR18 would be better suited, although a bit overkill, not to mention higher cost. From the Flow8 block diagram, you can only have 2x stereo input pairs on USB. Your application needs Click, Guide, and 4-5 backing tracks. That's 6-7 mono inputs. The 2x Mic (and 2x instrument?) inputs could be handled by the XLRs, but it's the other requirements that won't fit.

Here's the diagram I'm referencing: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... iagram.pdf
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Wow, I didn't realize the XR18 had gone up in price so much. Can you mix down your backing tracks in a DAW to a stereo pair? If so, you could put your click/guide on one stereo pair and your backing tracks on the other pair.

Return to “Flow8”