X-Dante latency ?

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
Klaus

X-Dante latency ?

Post by Klaus »

Hi
happy new year :-)

I'm evaluating using my X32-Core(s) with X-Dante card(s)...
on other stageboxes that have Dante cards / connections, i.e. A&H iDR48 in a club I work

How much will the latency 'X-Dante IN > X-Dante OUT be ?

And maybe someone knows the same answer for the A&H iDR48 too ?

Thank you
and best regards

Klaus
GaryH

Re: X-Dante latency ?

Post by GaryH »

I can't remember the exact figures, but it is less latency than aes50, I have not uesd with any Stagebox as the only ones in a reasonable price range (for me) are the Tio models from Yamaha and they are VERY hard to find. I have one on order. I do have several other Dante devices in my system and there is a thread here somewhere where I posted my latency findings with them and with Wing Dante (as well as my Core X-Dante card). The latency was very very small. I don't know much about A+H boxes but would imagine if they operate at 48K they would work just fine. The bigger issue is software that will allow you to adjust the preamps. The X32 or Wing can't natively. So you would need a software app (or on the device itself if it allows it) that will allow you to adjust the preamps. Yamaha software can (I have heard) don't know if A+H does too. I would guess yes. @curtbl may have more answers if he drops by :-)
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks a lot GaryH !
This A&H iDR48 stagebox is 'run' by a stage computer for monitors...
and preamps adjusted from there...
I'm trying to find your post...

Best

Klaus
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Klaus I can't find it either, it may have been on another forum, I saw my post and chart regarding the Wing internal card and latency here where the X-Dante card was a part of the subscriptions...(that showed minuscule figures, like 250 microseconds). I know the X-Dante card numbers were not that good...but still quite good.The private Dante users group on FB is very informative and with a lot of really knowledgeable people, might have many more answers there. I honestly don't think you will have latency issues. I also can't believe how much the X-Dante card is selling for these days (if you can locate one), nearly double what I paid years ago. Sounds like the A+H is all set to work just fine!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hmhhh...
is there an alternative to X-Dante from MG ?
Klaus
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

...The X-Dante is listed as 32x32 @48kHz...
If I read it right...
Can't it run 44kHz ?

TIA
Klaus
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Yes it will run at 44 or 48, MG has only X-Dante for the X/M32 series. The Wing has a 64 ch Dante card both for an internal version or external add in card (Wing-Dante)
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks GaryH
best regards

Klaus
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

The overall latency on a Dante network is determined by the slowest device on the network. So, even if you are getting numbers like 250 us (as I am with my X-32 I/O Reaper) on individual devices, because I have a 2-channel Dante audio with a slower Ethernet connection, that limits the entire network to that device.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks MJKlein !
and best regards

Klaus

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”