DP48 Reverb

DP48, Hub4 mixing eco-system
gmedia

DP48 Reverb

Post by gmedia »

I plugged the DP48 into an X32 for the first time to begin the process of learning it's interface and capabilities. I added the vocal (Vocal 3) I was testing to Group 3 (keeping it simple) easy enough. I played with reverb for a good while, and could not get it to work (could not hear a difference) for anything. I turned it all the way up to 20 DB and changed the different types of reverb, but no change.

Any ideas?

Of note, X32 with existing powerplay/untranet PM system. I plugged the DP48 directly into the AES50 B port of the S32 on the stage.

Most sincerely,
Chris
pvannatto

Re: DP48 Reverb

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @gmedia, welcome to our forum. On the DP48 there is a group reverb level (selecting the desired group and press the reverb button) and a mix (overall) level (selecting the Mix A or Mix B and then the Reverb).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
gmedia

Post by gmedia »

Hey Paul!

Thank you for the reply!

If I have Group 3 set to only channel 3 vocal, can you think of a reason why I would hear no reverb?

Chris
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

gmedia wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:47 pm If I have Group 3 set to only channel 3 vocal, can you think of a reason why I would hear no reverb?
Chris, as I mentioned above, there are 2 reverb adjustments. One is in the group (eg. group 3) and the other one is in the mix (eg. Mix A). If you don't have the Mix and Group reverb levels up, you won't hear it.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
gmedia

Post by gmedia »

Now I get it. So sorry to be a bit slow on that one.

That is likely what it was. I intuitively thought to turn the group volume up, but I never knew there was a mix reverb. When you mentioned it above, I thought it was just an independent reverb affect that it will put on the whole mix, but each group had their own independent reverb.

Ok, help me here if you know and don't mind.

1.The mix reverb doesn't sound logical or intuitive to me. Practically speaking, what is it for do you think? What situation would it be really helpful? I can't think of why going into the group (or channel if they also have settings for reverb) wouldn't be the only logical step.
2. So even if the mix reverb is all the way up, it will not affect any channel/group unless that group also has the reverb on and up or no?
3. Since I know know both are needed, what do you recommend that I set the mix reverb to, so that I can control reverb for group/channel three? Should I turn it all the way up, then just control it from the group?

Most sincerely,
Chris
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

gmedia wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pm 1.The mix reverb doesn't sound logical or intuitive to me.
It is no different than any other mixer - analog or digital. Each group sends a determined level to a mixbus that feeds the FX engine (as a dry signal). Then the FX Return (wet signal) fader level adjust the ratio of the groups dry signals to the wet signal in the main mix.
2. So even if the mix reverb is all the way up, it will not affect any channel/group unless that group also has the reverb on and up or no?
Well if the mix reverb level is all the way down, you can send all the groups to the reverb, but won't get any FX return.
3. Since I know know both are needed, what do you recommend that I set the mix reverb to, so that I can control reverb for group/channel three?
Usually reverb is only used on vocals (and maybe acoustic). I typically set the lead singer's group reverb to just below 0db and any backup singer to just above 0db. The more the reverb, the further back in the mix the signal seems to be. Then the reverb return (Mix Reverb) I would start at around -15 db and adjust to your liking.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
gmedia

Post by gmedia »

Perfect! Thank you for your help Paul!

Chris

Return to “DP48 Mixers”