MIDI with the S16

streamfuchs

MIDI with the S16

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi everybody,

does anyone has experiences with the MIDI IN/OUT connector at the S16 stagebox?
I have got two questions:

Does the MIDI OUT of the S16 provide 5V/3.3V power to operate connected hardware?
Has anyone made experiences with wireless MIDI with the S16, e.g. with the WIDI Master or WIDI jack interface?

Thanks and best regards
Thomas
pvannatto

Re: MIDI with the S16

Post by pvannatto »

streamfuchs wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:27 pm Does the MIDI OUT of the S16 provide 5V/3.3V power to operate connected hardware?
No it does not. The midi interface is designed to use a midi device to control the S16 (mutes, etc.). I'll look around to see if I can find the S16 Midi command table. If I find it, I'll post it on the Wiki.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi Paul,

First of all good to know that I have to provide external power for a connected device.
So when thinking about wireless midi I have to use eg. WIDI jack.

Are you talking about that command table?:

Thomas
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

streamfuchs wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:59 pm So when thinking about wireless midi I have to use eg. WIDI jack.
Yes, since it is powered by either midi or USB-C

Yes that is the Midi table. But I remember that there was an enhancement of the midi control in one of the S16 firmware. Since I don't use midi myself, I didn't take note of what the enhancements were. I'll do a bit of digging to find those details.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

pvannatto wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:43 pm
streamfuchs wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:27 pm Does the MIDI OUT of the S16 provide 5V/3.3V power to operate connected hardware?
No it does not. The midi interface is designed to use a midi device to control the S16 (mutes, etc.). I'll look around to see if I can find the S16 Midi command table. If I find it, I'll post it on the Wiki.
Obviously it does, because I just received my WIDI jack interface and, surprise, surprise, I can use it powered by the MIDI Out of the S16.

Besides this it is not so quite easy to get the whole bluetooth midi chain work because of some windows problems.
I am still working on it.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

streamfuchs wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:29 pm Obviously it does,
Thanks for reporting back. I was told (many moons ago) by the Music-Group staff that the S16 midi port did not have power. Either I was told incorrectly or they added that in a firmware upgrade.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I was told the same thing when I asked if a Midas M32 mixer had power on the Midi out port. They said it didn't but I was metering power there which is the Midi standard. I was using a Midi Solutions Event Processor and it powered it just fine. I have a feeling it is current limited to a relatively low capability but for what I was using it for it was fine.
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

streamfuchs wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:48 pm Hello everyone,

it is done.
I finished the work on the remote app very recently and here it is.

Because of the inability of the DN9630 to deal with MIDI over AES 50 I decided to find a solution with wireless midi which works pretty good.

If you are interested in the app, here is a small video about it:

The tool can be downloaded here:

http://storeds2310.synology.me:5000/d/s ... LHguRHcLAo

So, have fun.

Best regards
Thomas
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

I just released V 3.6 with little improvements.
You can now adjust not only the peak refresh time but as well the refresh time of the meter. This leads to a more stable and not so "nervous" behavior of the meter.
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

There is a new release V 3.91
I changed the scaling to Digi 60dB which is more common to most of us.
Beside this the peak indication now is on the left side of each meter and it is more accurate now.

Return to “Stageboxes”