Upgrading from x32 to Wing

Behringer WING Consoles
TBAUDIODIRECTOR

Upgrading from x32 to Wing

Post by TBAUDIODIRECTOR »

hi! I am the Audio Director for my church here in dallas tx. We use the Behringer x32 for FOH and are now running out of channels. we have 48 stage inputs that we could use but obviously cant use all of them with the x32 so our clear upgrade would be the wing. We use an x32 Rack as an in ear monitor system for our musicians and have a s32 stage box. My question is if we make the upgrade to the wing would it be possible to add an sd16 stage box along side the x32 rack and s32 stage box and if so how would we route that additional s16 stage box to the x32 rack so the musicians can hear all the new inputs we would be adding.
pvannatto

Re: Upgrading from x32 to Wing

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @TBAUDIODIRECTOR, welcome to our forum. Yes you can add an SD16 to your eco-system (cascaded from the S32 B port). Each AES50 can handle 48 channels in both directions. But the X32 only has 32 (plus 6 Aux) channel strips. So simply adding an SD16 and Wing won't increase the channel count of the X32 Rack you are using for IEMs. I would instead suggest you consider using the DP48 personal mixers for the musicians, since it can access all 48 AES50 channels (and can provide 2 mixes per unit).

Regarding your question about routing, if you continue to use the X32 Rack for IEM's and place it in between the Wing (FOH) and stageboxes (S32 and SD16), to get those inputs to the Wing, you would assign (in the X32 Rack) the 6 banks of AES50 channels (A or B) of the stageboxes to the AES50 going to the Wing.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
TBAUDIODIRECTOR

thank you for your response!! hmm that seems a bit costly. we have a bunch of p16 mixers for musicians already so buying a bunch of those midas would be a bit out of our price range
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

TBAUDIODIRECTOR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:11 am buying a bunch of those midas would be a bit out of our price range
Well if you do want the musicians to have access to all 48 channels, you are going to have to upgrade in some manner, since the X32 Rack (I have 2 of them) cannot provide. The P16 can only provide the musicians 16 channels. So I'm not sure how you are making it work currently.

Since the DP48 provides 2 mixes, it is actually less in cost than the 2 P16 it would replace.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

i think you dont need to add a SD16 because you have 16 mic inputs on your x32. so you can run 32 channels in your S32 and 16 in your X32Rack. then you send your 48 channels via AES50 to your Wing. from the Wing you can create sub mixes of the drums, keys, tracks etc and send them to busses on the wing. from there you can send some individual channels aswell as some busses to your x32 inputs. this way you can sum up channels from 48 to 32 and have fun with your total 48 stage inputs. you can also reasign the aux channels on your x32 to aes50 as well. then you have 38channels individual channels for your iem (some inputs summed together from wing of course).

edit: this would also work with a SD16 of course, but not necessary from the point you have told us.
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

I link an SD16 at our drum kit to a DL32 connected to 4x8 channel stage boxes. The SD 16 A port links to the B port on the DL32. Bonus it gives me additional P16 outs at the drum kit.
It may be worth looking at your P16 layout and Wing usage to see if you can eliminate the X32 Rack. I assume you're submixing a bunch of things into the P16 but the Wing's flexibility might be able to do it. I find a lot of churches burn extra mixbuses on output functions like subs and broadcast mixes that can easily be covered with the 4 main mixes and the 8 matrix outs. Feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss what you're doing and what I've done for my own and other churches. It's not my job but I can spare a few minutes to help somebody. Three Zero Three, Nine One Eight, Three Five Two Eight.
TBAUDIODIRECTOR

im just seeing youre response! how would i go about doing that?? shoot me your number. we just got the wing and its been a headache for me
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

I'm still on 1.12.8 until they get presets working. Here's our console setup inked below.
Things to check:
Mains and Matrix routing.
Mixbus 13-16 and the FX returns on Aux 1-5
User Signals and AES50A Out routing 33-48 for P16. All P16 routing is done in User Signals 1-16, I never touch AES50 33-48

https://legacychristian-my.sharepoint.c ... g?e=syEhNq

Return to “WING Consoles”