Help Please! XR18, AUX and CUE Sends

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
MrTopo!

Help Please! XR18, AUX and CUE Sends

Post by MrTopo! »

Hello everyone! I'm trying to configure my XR18 to work with Cubase, but no matter how hard I try I can't get it to work like I need. I can easily get the sound out of the main channel using outputs 1 and 2 of the XR18. The problem comes when I want to send personalized mixes to the different musicians (there are 3 of us) using Cubase's Cue Sends, which I can't get to work (via the AUX outputs of the interface). I configure 3 cue sends (I have tried with all the available outputs, from 3 to 18) and nothing sounds at all. I know I must be doing something wrong on the XR18's software side, but I don't know what, I can't think of what else to try. I have it connected by USB, and I am not using the ethernet connection or connecting to it via wifi through the smartphone. I don't know if that is a problem.

If anyone could shed some light on my problem please. Thank you.
pvannatto

Re: Help Please! XR18, AUX and CUE Sends

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @MrTopo!, welcome to our forum. Yes that is the problem. Trying to configure the XR18 with Cubase is like trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. You need a computer and X-Air Edit connected to the XR18 via either ethernet or wifi.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @MrTopo! To expand on what Paul said, you can't control the XR18 using only the USB connection. USB is only for receiving and sending audio streams between the mixer and a DAW. In order to configure and control the mixer you need a network (Ethernet or WiFI) connection and you need to use an app like X-Air Edit (or Mixing Station).

Cubase is sending audio to the mixer using what are called USB Returns. By default, the returns are mapped to Channel 1 - 18, but they can be remapped to other places. In your case, you'll want to map a couple of the USB Returns to Aux 1 - 3 and then have Cubase send to those USB Outputs.

Feel free to ask questions if this doesn't make sense.
Last edited by kmitchell on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTopo!

Post by MrTopo! »

Great thanks! I have achieved it. Indeed the error was not connecting to the XR18 through the access point and trying to do it only connected via USB. Everything working correctly now, at least for now. Thanks again!
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Glad to hear you got it working.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”